PDA

View Full Version : previous hd dvd exclusive releases

Pages : [1] 2

kev1782
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
so will studios who previously released in hd dvd format only go back and re-release those movies in blu ray? what about tv series that released seasons on hd dvd only, like NBC's Heroes?

rockymtnhigh
02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Probably eventually; if they think they stand to make money on it.

Geronimo
02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Maybe. but none of us knows yet.

teachsac
02-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

Jamey K
02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm keeping my HD DVD's for just in case something like that happens. I have gotten so spoiled watching movies in HD. I am going to take my duplicate SD's down to our local "Buy em-Sell em" store and round up some cash. I want more HD movies.

tnsprin
02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't think so. Paramount might go back and release its backstock. I don't think Universal will. The only majors I se them rereleasing are major titles like Transformers, Bourne (maybe in a boxset), Shrek (also maybe in a box set), and possibly a few others. Most of the catalog titles didn;t sell well in either format. What I see these two doing is doing day/date, and releasing new catalog titles, possibly some major ones finally that we all want like JP, Indy, Forest, etc.

S~

They already spent money on getting the titles ready for HD. So I expect all of them will be re-released in Blu-Ray (unless they REALLY sold badly on HD-DVD) sometime in the next two years. Of course they will concentrate on the big money makers and new releases first.

allargon
02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.

Chucky Cheese
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

At this point they may never release them.

meStevo
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I suspect it's replication and physical production costs that are the large investment in a release, so the fact that they may already be authored is somewhat irrelevant.

I'd expect nothing but the new releases and the show off movies (Transformers, larger budget action/kid movies) and just be surprised if they do more, for now at least.

teamerickson
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Two years isn't a bad time table. I would think it would be closer to 3. Warner hasn't even released any of their HD DVD exclusives yet.

Paramount will probably do Transformers sooner than later. Hot Rod and A Mighty Heart might take awhile.Rumor has it the Blu-ray version of Transformers has already been authored. Probably before they went HD DVD exclusive.

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html#wrap)

Reigster at SatelliteGuys