PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking about getting Tivo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

memo90061
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
I had Turbo HD Bronze on Dish Network and decided to just have local channels so I could continue using the Dish DVR. Dish has too many fees and the total would be over 13 dollars. I started to think about Tivo. Does anyone recommend it? I noticed I only used the DVR to record OTA programming. The only HD programming I recorded on Dish was HD videos from Palladia and non HD stuff on Telehit. I recorded Telehit for their music videos but I saw that I can download music videos on Tivo. Do they have HD music videos? What do you love about Tivo? What don't you like about it? How do you pay the 13 dollars monthly? Can you use a debit card?

cebbigh
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I converted first from E to D and now have Fios with a Tivo series 3 that I got used on Ebay for $290. For my use I would rate Tivo ahead of D (HR2x) and slightly behind E (622/722). Yes you can use a debit card, that's how my billing is set up. The listings info is great, on a par with E and better than D. I hooked a 1TB hard drive (Calvary $104 including shipping from Newegg) and now have 179 hrs HD capacity.

As far as music videos I don't know offhand. They do have a lot of nice add-ons though. If you have a Netflix subscription you can get a lot of HD online programing at no additional cost.

memo90061
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Hmmm thank you very much for your reply. I am leaning towards the Tivo now. Is it true you can download recorded programs on Tivo to your computer by going to your Tivo's IP address? I have a question. I have another provider called Sky. Can I connect it to Tivo and change Sky's receiver output to channel 3? Will I see channel 3 on Tivo? I know I won't get information for it on Tivo. I would want to create manual timers for channel 3. Is that possible? Can I rename my manual timers? Thank you! :D

slater
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I left Dish as well cause of the rising cost and mostly recorded local channels. I got a Tivo HD and so far I like it. Tivo has come a long way since I had in in 2001. I like how you can go to Netflix and pick out movies and there're instantly sent to your Tivo and ready to watch.

memo90061
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I really like Dish but I can't believe all their fees. I just wanted the locals for the DVR.

This is what they were charging me
6 for locals
6 for dvr
6 for the home protection plan
5 for not having HD programming
5 for tv 2 on the vip 722

riffjim4069
02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I converted first from E to D and now have Fios with a Tivo series 3 that I got used on Ebay for $290. For my use I would rate Tivo ahead of D (HR2x) and slightly behind E (622/722). Yes you can use a debit card, that's how my billing is set up. The listings info is great, on a par with E and better than D. I hooked a 1TB hard drive (Calvary $104 including shipping from Newegg) and now have 179 hrs HD capacity.

As far as music videos I don't know offhand. They do have a lot of nice add-ons though. If you have a Netflix subscription you can get a lot of HD online programing at no additional cost.Ditto...although I would have probably stayed with Dish Network if it weren't for FiOS. The Tivo HD is a close 2nd when compared to the 622/722.

gadgtfreek
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Im enjoying my TivoHD. Bought the wirelewss dongle and 500gb dvr expander too. My only complaint is that it does not show how much space is left, which is very weird.

The netflix watch now and amazon vod are cool.

memo90061
02-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am really leaning towards the Tivo now. I always wanted a DVR where I could record stuff from the TV and send it to my computer.

mike123abc
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Last year I bought 2 TiVos, upped them to 1 GB disks and moved most my Local timers to TiVo. I have them in 2 different residences. One I use OTA and have an outside antenna. The other I use 2 cable cards. The cable cards work well.

Quite frankly they are very nice. I went with the lifetime subscription because I hate monthly billing.

You can control your DVR over the internet at tivo.com if they are hooked up to the internet in case you are away and want to set a timer. You can watch it on your computer, you can also send programs back and forth between the TiVos (I did this before moved one). You can of course do the netflix and amazon.com videos. They do a ton of stuff very well. It has me rethinking what I am going to do with my Dish subcription.

TiVo has a factory referbished special https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxdetails.do?boxName=renewed-tivohdxl&type=renewed with the 1 GB already in it.

riffjim4069
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Im enjoying my TivoHD. Bought the wirelewss dongle and 500gb dvr expander too. My only complaint is that it does not show how much space is left, which is very weird.

The netflix watch now and amazon vod are cool.Yep, the Tivo has a lot of neat features (some we don't use), but I was surprised to see it lacked a few basic like checking free space (I think all 12 of the other HD DVRs I've use does this and free space can be checked online with the FiOS DVR), it didn't have a widescreen guide, no TV picture inside the guide, no PIP, and it doesn't buffer/save your previous title searches. I wish I could merge the 622 and Tivo HD, plus add the FiOS widgets and toss in the free TV Guide On Screen with my Sony HD DVR = Perfect HD DVR!!!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys