PDA

View Full Version : TiVo files patent infringement lawsuits against AT&T and Verizon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Thomas22
08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Form 8-K for TIVO INC 26-Aug-2009
Other Events

ITEM 8.01. Other Events. On August 26, 2009, TiVo Inc. announced that it had filed separate complaints against AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications, Inc. in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas for infringement of the following three TiVo patents U.S. Patent Nos. 6,233,389 B1 ("Multimedia Time Warping System"), 7,529,465 B2 ("System for Time Shifting Multimedia Content Streams"), and 7,493,015 B1 ("Automatic Playback Overshoot Correction System"). The complaints seek damages for past infringement and a permanent injunction, similar to that issued by the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas against DISH/EchoStar.

riffjim4069
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, there is no way the Telco DVRs compare to the EchoStar ViP Series DVRs...and Verizon and AT&T have the best and brightest lawyers in the Industry. I think Tivo bit-off more than they can chew. The reason I have a TivoHD (like Vurbano and so many other folks) is because the FiOS DVR blows in comparison.

Thomas22
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, there is no way the Telco DVRs compare to the EchoStar ViP Series DVRs...and Verizon and AT&T have the best and brightest lawyers in the Industry. I think Tivo bit-off more than they can chew. The reason I have a TivoHD (like Vurbano and so many other folks) is because the FiOS DVR blows in comparison.
Most of what TiVo is filing suit for has to do with the internal low level workings of DVRs as opposed to the interface. TiVos have a great interface but the only part of the interface involved in the lawsuit is patent number 7,493,015 which has to do with rewind and FF overshoot. The other two patents are about very basic internal processes.

riffjim4069
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the summary Thomas...it should be interesting to see how this ones plays out in court.

jwgreen68
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Sounds to me like Tivo is filing multiple lawsuits in the hopes of winning at least 1. This company is begging to be bought out.

cmcnabb
08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
The Eastern district of Texas. The court of choice for patent trolls.

riffjim4069
08-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the summary Thomas...it should be interesting to see how this ones plays out in court.

Hall
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, there is no way the Telco DVRs compare to the EchoStar ViP Series DVRs... As Thomas22 points out, it has NOTHING to do with how "good" the DVR is or how it looks. If you can record a show while watching another, you're infringing as far as TiVo is concerned.

Hall
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Sounds to me like Tivo is filing multiple lawsuits in the hopes of winning at least 1. It works both ways.... If they win against anyone, it's precedent and they can use that in their favor when "negotiating" with other DVR manufacturers.

riffjim4069
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
As Thomas22 points out, it has NOTHING to do with how "good" the DVR is or how it looks. If you can record a show while watching another, you're infringing as far as TiVo is concerned.I realize that, but it's really kind of funny when you consider how much better the "premium" DVRs are over those Cable/Telcos are using; it's like trying to compare a Yugo to a Ferrari.

In any case, if Verizon/AT&T fall victim to this ploy it's only a matter of time before Tivo goes after each and every MSO that offers a DVR. I can't image how many billions this would cost Cable/Telcos in past and future licensing fees and penalties.

For the love of life, the Industry needs to make Tivo go-away ($$$) and offer these patents and all future works derived from them to the public domain.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys