View Full Version : Speaker stand question

Pages : [1] 2

gadgtfreek
11-26-2009, 03:55 PM
So the wife decided she wanted a new tv stand (thank god). We picked out a nice open dark cherry stand, thats very wide and has two levels of black tempered glass shelves. 50% off tomorrow so its a good deal, and I can finally let my ger breathe cool air again.

I'm gonna go with new speaker stands, and found some Sanus I like. Going with a center channel stand, 18"(aimed up at us), in front of the ent center, and a matching pair off to each side for the bookshelves. Here is my question:

When choosing a height for the bookshelves, what should I aim for?

Our ears are at 35" or so, so I'm thinking the stands where the base is 30". They are pretty nice, hide the cables, and have spiked feet. Other option is 24 inches, but I'd think that was too low.

jayn_j
11-26-2009, 11:09 PM
When choosing a height for the bookshelves, what should I aim for?

Our ears are at 35" or so, so I'm thinking the stands where the base is 30". They are pretty nice, hide the cables, and have spiked feet. Other option is 24 inches, but I'd think that was too low.

You generally want the tweeters at about ear level. They are the most directional. Of course, that is a VERY general guideline and YMMV.

gadgtfreek
11-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks.

30" is just right then.

teachsac
11-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeap. As Jay said.

S~

raoul5788
11-27-2009, 08:27 PM
I also agree, go with the 30" ones.

Splicer
12-05-2009, 05:16 PM
The height of the stands depends on the size of the speakers. My stands are the Sanus 24" but the tweeters on the speakers are exterior top mounted, so it works out perfectly in my situation. ;)

QCK
12-05-2009, 09:18 PM
elwaylite, I'd love to see some pics of the new stand/setup if you have the time to post them.

gadgtfreek
12-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Will do.

I just got my ent center in today, but it'll have to stay boxed because we are moving. In mid Feb, I'll have the new ent center and speaker stands in use, so I'll surely post then.

loves2watch
12-06-2009, 07:38 AM
The center channel, being the absolute single most important speaker in any surround sound system, begs to be at ear level. If not it will be difficult to hear intelligible dialog since all of it comes from the center as well as missing some musical cues as the center plays 70% and sometimes more of that as well.

Do yourself a favor and choose the positioning and location for the center channel wisely so that you can hear all that you are supposed to...

Hope this helps.

gadgtfreek
12-06-2009, 08:23 AM
The center cannot be at ear level, either above or below. I think below is better, and it is adjustable. I usually put a laser on the side and adjust the up angle, to its pointed at our face in the listening position.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys