PDA

View Full Version : Product Placement Ads in TV Shows

Pages : [1] 2

WayneG
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Is it just me or have you noticed more product placement ads in TV shows this season? In a recent Hawaii Five-O episode they used their smartphone to do a search and instead of saying "Google It" ,like most of us would say, they said "Bing It". Then they proceeded to show the Bing search engine on the phone.

And I think I heard Mike say, on a recent Mike & Molly episode, that he got his gallon sized shampoo at Sam's Club instead of some generic name like "Mega Market".

So it seems that the networks and their advertisers are concerned enough about DVR users skipping commercials that are trying new ways to have products seen & heard by everyone watching.

Bobby
11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Product placement on TV and in movies has been around long before DVRs. It's just another way for the producers to make some money.

rockymtnhigh
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
And there are ipads in more and more shows. The whole cast of criminal minds got them. Henry on bleep my dad says got one. :)

WayneG
11-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I do remember the iPads being used. Oh, another one I remember is all the Chevy vehicles in the first Transformers movie.

Oh, this will be my 100th posting. Do you get a prize, especially considering it took me over 7 years to do it?

Bobby
11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
:clap There's your prize... :) Congratulations on 100!

rockymtnhigh
11-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Congrats WayneG! Now lets see if you can cut that time in half for the next 100. :D

WayneG
11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys! I'll do better now that I have DSL at home.

Foxbat
11-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm noticing that iPhone 4s are being used in ways that show off their features (Jake tells Uncle Charlie that "payback's a bitch" via FaceTime, Castle use the camera on his iPhone to see under a door to photograph the kidnapper and victim so Beckett knows where to aim before breaking in the door). But I especially like the huge Windows logos slapped on the back of the LCD monitors on Smallville and The Mentalist.

And who owns the iMac sitting by the window in Sheldon & Lenard's apartment on the Big Bang Theory? We always see the guys using their Dell XPS or Alienware PCs, so it seems like a weird product-placement.

rockymtnhigh
11-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm noticing that iPhone 4s are being used in ways that show off their features (Jake tells Uncle Charlie that "payback's a bitch" via FaceTime, Castle use the camera on his iPhone to see under a door to photograph the kidnapper and victim so Beckett knows where to aim before breaking in the door). But I especially like the huge Windows logos slapped on the back of the LCD monitors on Smallville and The Mentalist.

And who owns the iMac sitting by the window in Sheldon & Lenard's apartment on the Big Bang Theory? We always see the guys using their Dell XPS or Alienware PCs, so it seems like a weird product-placement.

Yeah, the Big Bang guys don't strike me as iphone or mac users. There have been Droid sightings on several tv shows as well.

And of course, Sheldon doesn't like Steve Jobs. :)

Sheldon: You're 15th favorite technological visionary.
Steve Wozniak: Only fifteenth?
Sheldon: It's still six spots above Steve Jobs. I care neither for turtlenecks nor showmanship.

Foxbat
11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the Big Bang guys don't strike me as iphone or mac users.I think Raj uses a MacBook Pro to skype with his parents in India. And whatever computer Howard uses better have a washable keyboard/screen...
There have been Droid sightings on several tv shows as well.I think it's like cars. Whatever make and model you bought, you tend not to notice other marques on the road. Drive an Audi A4, say, and it seems you suddenly see Audis everywhere. Since I couldn't tell a Droid from a lot of the non-Droid smartphones, I'm not keyed in to see them. I'll see a character on TV use a smartphone, but is it Droid, or a Nokia N95, or a BB Storm? I couldn't tell you. Since you have the Droid, you know all the subtle clues that say, "Hey, they're using my phone!"
And of course, Sheldon doesn't like Steve Jobs. :)That was one of the better episodes. :)

Reigster at SatelliteGuys