PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Thread!

K9SAT
12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
I currently have up a G5RV wich is not in the best of spots as I bearly have the room for it. I was thinking about going with a vertical anteanna. The goal was to get an all bander antenna with one coax. What recommendations do you have, especally for someone who has a typical city lot!

73 Thanks for your help. K9SAT

n1wbd
12-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Bob unless you only want to work DX then the vertical is great. For local communications especially on 75 and 160 consider a dipole or better yet a Cobra Multiband Antenna the one I have is 140 ft long and center fed with 450 ladderline.

Check out the Cobra at Cobra UltraLite Antennas - The Alternative Multi-Band Solution - Home Page (http://www.k1jek.com) and go to the reviews section at eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site (http://www.eham.com) for the all the reviews on it.

I have the cobra senior which is good 160-6. (Note all Cobra antenna require a antenna tuner.) There is a 73 ft version thats good for 80-10 and also a 41 ft version that covers 40-10.

I own the very first Cobra Joe made (prototype) and have used it now for about 7 yrs and have worked the world with just 100watts. IMHO the best multiband antenna out there.

73 Bob N1WBD

Don Landis
12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Bob- You are a wise man choosing ladder line- I got rid of ALL my RFI and SWR problems when I switched to ladder line and a big tuner. I fed coad to the tuner in my garage ( outside wall ) so the ladder line could feed through an outside wall. While a balun worked for coax on the dipoles, they don't last when running high power. Properly designed antenna tuners are much more efficient than coax and baluns.

n1wbd
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes indeed they do and the cobra works great much better than a G5RV.

Bob- You are a wise man choosing ladder line- I got rid of ALL my RFI and SWR problems when I switched to ladder line and a big tuner. I fed coad to the tuner in my garage ( outside wall ) so the ladder line could feed through an outside wall. While a balun worked for coax on the dipoles, they don't last when running high power. Properly designed antenna tuners are much more efficient than coax and baluns.

K9SAT
12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm going to be ordering a cobera within the next few weeks for put up in spring. Hopefully It will yeild much better results.

n1wbd
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
You won't regret it.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys