View Full Version : Netflix to split DVD business? Not any more!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

rockymtnhigh
09-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Lifehacker is reporting this morning that Netflix has made a major change in its business practices.

Netflix Splits Streaming and DVD Businesses, Creates Separate Sites for Each (http://lifehacker.com/5841612/netflix-splits-streaming-and-dvd-businesses-creates-separate-sites-for-each)

In an overnight email to subscribers and blog post, Netflix announced that it would spin off its rental DVD-by-mail business into a new business called Qwikster, while Netflix would remain streaming-only. The two businesses will be separate, the two sites will be separate, and the bottom line is that DVD subscribers will have to visit another site to manage their queues and pay their bills.

Netflix itself will continue to offer and handle streaming video on all of the currently-supported platforms, so subscribers will notice little to no change there. How DVD subscribers will be migrated to the new Qwikster remains to be seen. Some details are clear however: Qwikster will be completely separate from Netflix, meaning personal and payment information, DVD and series ratings, and your queue, will be entirely separate. If you look up an item via Netflix streaming and find it's unavailable, you'll have to log in to Qwikster to search for it there, add it to your queue there, and have it shipped to you. Qwikster will also offer video game rentals in addition to DVDs and Blu-ray discs.

jgags6
09-19-2011, 06:58 AM
They also said that they would be offering Video Game rentals on Quikster also.

rockymtnhigh
09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Here is the official explanation from Netflix' blog

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

Rangers484
09-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Poor decisions compounded by poor execution. No integration of the DVD and streaming sites, separate billing....loss of up to 1 million subscribers since the price hike already.

cybok0
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I think I might just change to the streaming service, I can get movies and games from Redbox.

msmith198025
09-19-2011, 07:36 AM
I think I might just change to the streaming service, I can get movies and games from Redbox.

I would but, there are shows that the wife watches, that are not available on streaming, and also not available with redbox. Renting per episode with another service would be even more costly. If I cut it out, I am cutting it all out.

cybok0
09-19-2011, 07:43 AM
I would but, there are shows that the wife watches, that are not available on streaming, and also not available with redbox. Renting per episode with another service would be even more costly. If I cut it out, I am cutting it all out.

I'm hoping with this move the streaming service will get better with TV shows because I hate watching shows on disc. I only get two movies at a time and when I got the Dexter series I got the first two discs but I had to wait for the third. When I streamed Lost I watched a season in like three days but that was when I was on nights and had more time for that stuff. :(

RandallA
09-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Got my email this morning with the explanation. Streaming never worked for me, I could never find anything I wanted to watch. If they update their library, maybe I'll switch to Netflix. :)

Anonymous99
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I get the feeling that Netflix knows something about Echostar's announcement about Blockbuster on Friday that we don't know...

isaacmorseMI
09-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Qwikster? Really Netflix? Really?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Reigster at SatelliteGuys