PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch 4, 99w is at the edge

Laurens
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi, I'm traveling in a motorhome. There is a Dish on the roof from Datastorm to connect to the internet. I'm using 99W. The dish will find the satellite automaticly. But I'm often in areas where there are trees, so your app seems perfect to find a spot where there is free sight to the satellite.
I'm using my GPS to find the coordinates where I am, then I type those into the app. Take my compass and direct the iPod Touch in the direction the app says. In this case 190.3 true.
The satellite is at the left edge of my iPod. When I look with my compass where the dish is pointing to I see the dish is pointing to 156 degrees.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I thought when the only satellite I've selected is the 99W then it would appear in the middle of the satellite line in the app, then I can look through the camera in the direction of the compass setting and I can see where the free spots are.
I found something else a littlebit strange, When I select a satellite with a lower number then 99w it doesn't appear on the screen. As I said the 99W is at the left edge of my screen.
I hope you can help me because this app could make my life a lot easier when I need to find a spot to connect to the internet.
BTW when I touch the screen there is appearing a square, why is that, or what is the purpose?
Thanks,
Laurens

AlanSH
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Can you let me know the geocoordinates so that we can play it through with real numbers? You can also pm me the location.

Laurens
09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Can you let me know the geocoordinates so that we can play it through with real numbers? You can also pm me the location.

108.4207W

37.30395N

AlanSH
09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok, I think I know now what you are doing wrong - you are just selecting the satellite to be displayed on the screen but you are not telling the app in which direction you are holding the phone (the default is 180 degrees, that's why the sat appears at the edge).

Here is how to use it on the iPod Touch:
1. Enter your gps information, as you've done already.
2. Take your manual compass out and orient yourself due South (magnetic South).
3. Point your iPod exactly in that direction. 99W will appear at the edge and will be correct.

If you want 99W at screen center and also want to get the alignment details for that sat, use this approach.
1. as before
2. Go into the horizontal reference mode, select satellite, enter 99W.
3. Go to camera view, 99W will be at screen center, at the bottom mag Heading will read 156
4. Take your manual compass out and orient yourself towards 156.
5. Point the iPod in that direction. Make sure the satellite dot is not on a tree or another obstacle.

Hope this helps.

Laurens
09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for your fast replies! And the second option I like very much and it works great.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys