PDA

View Full Version : NTSB released it's recommendation on cell phone use while driving today.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Don Landis
12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
There are a number of reports on this but it seems the NTSB is recommending a nationwide ban on all phone use and other electronic devices ( whatever that means) while driving a vehicle by all except when for the purpose of an emergency ( 911 call ) including a ban on all hands free systems too. The main thrust of this is to stop drivers from using a phone for voice or text communications while driving. But the catch phrase is "other electronic devices" What does that mean? They want it placed in the same punitive category as DUI. The ban recommendation does not include passengers. Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

Neutron
12-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Hands-free devices are supposed to take a lot of the distraction away. I would compare talking on a bluetooth device the same as talking with a passenger. Are they going to ban conversing with passengers in the vehicle next?

Don Landis
12-14-2011, 03:13 AM
I think a good compromise would be if you aren't using hands free to talk on phone while driving they can stop you and you lose your driver's license for 90 days. Second offense, 1 year in jail. Talking on a hands free phone has never been documented to cause an accident any more than yelling at your kids or getting into an argument with a passenger. Texting and dialing a phone has been the cause of accidents often. There is plenty of justification for banning texting while driving but to use that as an excuse to ban a driver talking with hands-free device is just plain moronic. Remember, these are the same morons that claim passengers listening to an ipod during takeoff or using a laptop will crash the plane. If I didn't know better, I would not want to ever fly if the planes were that fragile.

rockymtnhigh
12-14-2011, 06:05 AM
There are a number of reports on this but it seems the NTSB is recommending a nationwide ban on all phone use and other electronic devices ( whatever that means) while driving a vehicle by all except when for the purpose of an emergency ( 911 call ) including a ban on all hands free systems too. The main thrust of this is to stop drivers from using a phone for voice or text communications while driving. But the catch phrase is "other electronic devices" What does that mean? They want it placed in the same punitive category as DUI. The ban recommendation does not include passengers. Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

Does it mean I can't change the song on my iPod? Sounds like it. Actually I am not sure under the current Illinois law if doing that is even legal now.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

radio
12-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

"THEY" (The Government) try, but legislation NEVER replaces the common sense missing in today's human beings (including those who hold drivers' licenses).....!

The more technology we get, it would seem "the dumber we get as a race," and..... the more we allow Government to enforce policies that should be common sense without legislation anyway!

stanleyjohn
12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
For me it wasn't a real problem till now!For safety reasons some want a total ban on cell phones in cars including hands free.I think this goes too far!Whats next then!getting a ticket for talking to someone else in the car while driving?Seems like a limit in freedom of speech here.heres the article>> US urges ban on texting, talking while driving | General Headlines | Comcast.net (http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20111212/US.Drivers.Texting/)

stanleyjohn
12-14-2011, 06:40 AM
ooops! Just saw this discused in the phone section!A mod can move this if he wants too.

JohnL
12-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Talking on the phone in the car is the distraction, not holding the phone. Certainly texting while driving is a horrific idea. Then again we should consider any activity other than driving a punishable offense whiling operating a vehicle, ie shaving, putting on makeup up, reading the morning paper, eating, drinking beverages, smoking, and I have seen all of these activities attempted while driving. All of these activities have the ability to distract a driver enough to cause an accident. Inattention while operating a vehicle is easily the cause of most accidents. Even the act of running through all the activities you plan on doing at any given time while operating a vehicle can cause the distraction.

Most people can remember being in car driving, while thinking about other things. A few minutes later thinking, "Wow, I don't remember how I got here". This is because the cognitive conscious parts of your brain require 100 percent of your attention while driving. When you attempt to multitask while driving, your Brain hands off the driving duties to the Unconscious part of your brain, because you generally have done that task repetitively. While your unconscious brain can generally manage driving duties like staying between the lines on a straight road, it can NOT manage or act properly when faced with a sudden tasks, like a vehicle making sudden unanticipated maneuvers, a Traffic light changing to red, somebody running a stop sign etc.

Put the phone down, and start paying attention while driving. Most humans don't even realize the complexities and cognitive abilities required while driving, as it is something we do everyday so we rationalize (wrongly) how easy the task of driving is.

Ramy
12-14-2011, 07:05 AM
I think the real problem is texting. They need to ban that.

ke4est
12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes very much agreed.....I know of people in my town killed from texting while driving.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys