PDA

View Full Version : Dish-gusted with Blockbuster!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dishman Dan
01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
I was at a closing Blockbuster store in Erie the other day looking for a possible bargain and mostly hoping for a satellite dish from off of the roof. I was a little too late for the dishes on the roof when Hollywood Video closed so I thought that I would try my luck. I talked to the dude and at first I was feeling bad for them that the place was closing. I found out that there was not a satellite dish available and I did give a little spew on FTA to explain why I would want that dish in the first place. He said that Blockbuster is on Dish Network and I can continue to get Blockbuster that way. His attitude seemed to convey to me that everbody has Dish Network! Before I left I asked about video games for sale and he told me that they all sold right away and are long gone. Then on the way out and near the door I saw boxes of games sitting there and asked if those were sold. The guy replied that all of the games were being transfered to another store and it was just less than 5 minutes before he told me that they all sold! After that I knew that it said Charlie somewhere on his name tag!!!... :eek:

cyberham
01-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Only a couple of months before it was announced that Blockbuster was bankrupt, I had a conversation with a store employee about how inconvenient it was to have to drive my car using gasoline to a store to rent a piece of circular plastic to spin so I could watch a movie. After enjoying the movie, you then need to schedule time to return to the store again, burning more gas, to take the plastic disc back. Even now in the 21st century, he couldn't seem to get my point, or pretended he didn't.

Iceberg
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
What's your point Dan other than your distaste for anything DBS related??

He said that Blockbuster is on Dish Network and I can continue to get Blockbuster that way.

Blockbuster went bankrupt....Dish won a bankruptcy auction back in April to buy them. Dish has now integrated Blockbuster into their offerings. You can stream titles directly to your receiver and do kinda like a netflix thing where they send you a disc from your queue. Dish did keep some Blockbusters open so folks can do trades there in the store. So lets see...Dish owns Blockbuster. So I guess I'm shocked that a Blockbuster would have Dish as their provider :rolleyes:

I guess you'd rather have Blockbuster be wiped off the planet than have someone like Dish own them :rolleyes:

Dishman Dan
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
What's your point Dan other than your distaste for anything DBS related??

Basically it was a dish hunting trip that went bad. I was hoping to find a deal on some movies or games along the way and perhaps some other store fixtures. The lying about the games did not make me happy and reminded me off my "Dish" days when I was one of their customers. :(

Yes I wish that Blockbuster could of survived but with the recent reincarnation I will not be one of their customers unless there are no other choices. ;)

The guy was very impressed with my FTA chat and he did not know that such a TV viewing option even existed!!! :D

rogerduncan100
01-28-2012, 05:59 PM
I can completely understand that you were irritated about the lying. Some store clerks lie just because they figure it's easier for them. I think being lied to is insulting.

yaz96
01-28-2012, 06:06 PM
The guy was very impressed with my FTA chat and he did not know that such a TV viewing option even existed!!! :D

This seems to be the important thing about this rant.....

Also, maybe he thought you meant the actual game consoles were sold, did you think of that?

rrob311
01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I was at a closing Blockbuster store in Erie the other day looking for a possible bargain and mostly hoping for a satellite dish from off of the roof. I was a little too late for the dishes on the roof when Hollywood Video closed so I thought that I would try my luck. I talked to the dude and at first I was feeling bad for them that the place was closing. I found out that there was not a satellite dish available and I did give a little spew on FTA to explain why I would want that dish in the first place. He said that Blockbuster is on Dish Network and I can continue to get Blockbuster that way. His attitude seemed to convey to me that everbody has Dish Network! Before I left I asked about video games for sale and he told me that they all sold right away and are long gone. Then on the way out and near the door I saw boxes of games sitting there and asked if those were sold. The guy replied that all of the games were being transfered to another store and it was just less than 5 minutes before he told me that they all sold! After that I knew that it said Charlie somewhere on his name tag!!!... :eek:

Thats a bummer maybe if you have another one close by that is closing you can ask for the DM's phone number and ask them for what you are looking for. Unfortunately it's hit or miss when dealing with lower level retail employees.(especially when they are about to lose their job)

SatelliteAV
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Might not have been a lie at all..... inventory that was it the process of being transferred to another location may no longer have been available for sale by that store.

Dishman Dan
01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Might not have been a lie at all..... inventory that was it the process of being transferred to another location may no longer have been available for sale by that store.

It would of not been a lie if he would of not told me just a few minutes earlier that all the games were sold out the first day. Are they keeping some stores open somewhere? The guy did say that the games are being transfered to another store.

All I wanted was the dish on the roof! :o

Iceberg
01-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Are they keeping some stores open somewhere?
yes some stores are still staying open. The closing has been staggered as leases come up. The BB near my house closed right after the bankruptcy happened

Reigster at SatelliteGuys