View Full Version : How Hopper/Joey can help my setup?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CCTX
02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I read the sticky thread and dish.com on Hopper but I am a little confused with the features Hopper can add to my existing setup especially with HD on all TVs. Currently, I have one 722k feeding 4 HDTVs; TV1 in living, and TV2 feed in SD to all 3 TVs through the house built-in cable wiring. Now, I am interested in Hopper because it seems I can watch HD on all TVs.

Now, my questions are
How a Hopper or maybe a Joey can improve this setup?
Will a Hopper have TV1, TV2, TV3 since it has 3 tuners or something like this?
Will I need a Hopper AND a Joey to be able to watch HD and record something while watching 2 different TV shows at once?

Your help clarifying how a Hopper works and can improve my setup will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

rajmarie
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
1 hopper can support upto 3 joeys....ie upto 4 tvs can be connected. Offcourse only 3 can watch live & 4th can watch dvr programs. Offcourse all 4 can get hd now

Scherrman
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
The Hopper should work great for you. One Hopper for the main TV and then a Joey for each additional TV. You would need the Hopper with 3 Joeys. There really isn't a TV 1, 2 and 3 anymore. Whatever TV you are at you just watch one of the available tuners fromt he Hopper. If all three tuners are being used and you want to watch something from a fourth TV you can either watch one of the three tuners in use or watch a recording. You can now watch up to 4 TVs in HD now.

CCTX
02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Great. Thank you.

So Joey is basically for HD. Without a Joey, I can still get SD on other TVs, correct?

JM42
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Great. Thank you.

So Joey is basically for HD. Without a Joey, I can still get SD on other TVs, correct?

No. There is not any RF modulated output with a Hopper. You will need a Joey wherever you want to watch TV be it SD or HD.

Dishman1978
02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Great. Thank you.

Have to have joeys in a hopper/joey system even if your tv is sd or hd.

The hopper/joey system doesnt work like the regular satellite systems that are already out there.

dare2be
02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Have to have joeys in a hopper/joey system even if your tv is sd or hd.

The hopper/joey system doesnt work like the regular satellite systems that are already out there.
And, it doesn't work WITH the regular satellite receivers that are already out. It will be one (Hopper/Joey system) or the other (ViP, legacy).

CCTX
02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Now, this is interesting. Currently, I only pay $6.00 for DVR. With Hopper/Joey and if the numbers on the Price Rumors thread are correct, then it would be $24. If I add another 211k to my existing 722k instead, it would be $13. Then, I would get 2 HD feeds and the rest are SD. I am still interested in the Hopper/Joey system though.

Do you need to run wires between the Hopper and Joeys? That can be a mess.

sparc
02-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Do you need to run wires between the Hopper and Joeys? That can be a mess. take a look at the spec sheets in pinned Hopper/Joey thread. (http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/275880-dish-hopper-spec-sheets.html) I believe the HIC spec sheet includes pictures along with some examples of wiring.

Basically there's a central node that everything needs to connect to somewhere in the house. Not necessarily near the hopper.

mdavej
02-05-2012, 05:07 PM
No. There is not any RF modulated output with a Hopper. You will need a Joey wherever you want to watch TV be it SD or HD.You should be able to add an RF modulator to send to SD TVs for free if you want. I had to do that for years with DirecTV because their boxes lacked RF out as well. An old VCR works fine, as does a $10 modulator from walmart. Realize this simply mirrors TV1.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys