PDA

View Full Version : Roku

Pages : [1] 2

jcarrera
02-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Does BHN/Roadrunner prevent the HBO Go stream on Roku from delivery?

BHNtechXpert
02-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Currently, BHN does not offer HBO/MAX GO on Roku devices. We'll let you know once we make access available through additional devices.

jcarrera
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
I am not sure i want that programming, But the issue is important to me from a freedom philosophical point of view.

It seems that this is BHN/Roadrunner blocking a specific set of packets addressed to the customer's IP address "just because we don't want you to get that stream of data." Talk about big brother! That is extremely troubling. Since when do you get to filter OUR data based on YOUR desires? I pay for something that is perfectly legal to come in over the internet pipe, and you cut it off.

Will you quote the portion of the service agreement that allows you to do that.

jimdandyvi
02-11-2012, 01:41 PM
They are not blocking the packets. To sign up for the service you have to go through an authorization server run by BHN (or whomever your MSO is). If they will not give you the authorization to watch on a ROKU it is a no go.

Your MSO would prefer you watch on their system and not cut them out of the loop.

jcarrera
02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
What is an MSO?

That's weird. Do I not sign up for the service with Roku (or who?), yet BHN has to authorize it?

Is that true of other things, like Netflix? I don't remember having to deal with BHN to get it. I had to enter a code for my Roku so that netflix could look in their system and say, yep he's a customer, then send the packets for selected movie to my IP. Where did BHN get involved other than receiving the packets through the internet from Netflix and delivering them to me once they reached the RR network?

isaacmorseMI
02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
What is an MSO?

That's weird. Do I not sign up for the service with Roku (or who?), yet BHN has to authorize it?

Is that true of other things, like Netflix? I don't remember having to deal with BHN to get it. I had to enter a code for my Roku so that netflix could look in their system and say, yep he's a customer, then send the packets for selected movie to my IP. Where did BHN get involved other than receiving the packets through the internet from Netflix and delivering them to me once they reached the RR network?

MSO is Multi-systems operator. You sign up for the service with BHN, because you need an HBO subscription thru them to have access to the HBO GO apps that are provided by HBO, so it is the MSO's choice (in your case BHN) whether to offer you access via Roku or not.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

BHNtechXpert
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
What is an MSO?

It has nothing to do with intercepting anything so just toss that idea out of your head :) For now we are only supporting streaming via PC based products such as your laptop, desktop, tablet etc. The reason you can't watch it through your Roku is because the authentication process is not enabled for that device. We're not blocking any packets because no packets (as you call them) are being sent to begin with. I'll let you know if the status on the Roku changes down the road.

TNGTony
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
FYI, Road Runner is not blocking HBO Go on Roku. I have RR and Dish Network and get HBO Go just fine on Roku... and LOVE IT.

jcarrera
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I am still trying to understand this...

if I want to get Roku and Netflix to team up and send me movies down an internet pipe into my roku box (after I pay Netflix for the service), I simply don't understand how BHN is involved, beyond providing the last part of the pipe from netflix's server to my house.

BHNtechXpert
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
In order for you to receive HBO GO you must already be an HBO customer through your cable provider. When you sign up with HBO GO you must first authenticate with your cable provider and then it goes back to HBO GO after you are verified to currently be a HBO subscriber. The authentication process determines what devices you can use and can't use with HBO GO. We have nothing to do with the actual streaming of the product...just authentication.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys