PDA

View Full Version : Voom on Dish isn't Voom

Pages : [1] 2 3

MarcelV
05-01-2005, 07:33 AM
I am very sorry and don't understand the excitement of
Voom21 on Dish Network. It's just not the same.

Some of the SD channels on Voom looked much better.
Examples were WE, Fox Soccer Channel.

Then there were SD channels that are not on Dish.
CNN International and ESPN Desportes by example and those
became channels I watched frequently.

And then there were HD channels not shown by others, not
just in the Voom21....

And yes, I have Dish (since 98 and had it next to Voom).
Voom really was different. Ergen and Jimmy found a way to
kill it, and succeeded. This was the best Chuck could get out
of it. But it will never be a Voom experience. :river
And I was not even talking about the rollercoaster
experience, the people on this Voom forum. :)

hdtvGeek
05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Since half of Vooms problems where with people not wanting to sign up until (insert channel) was available.

Let's start a Dish Bashing thead. I'll start it off.

1) I won't switch till they have all the Vooms channels (No Voom Lite)
2) add your own rant here

bryan27
05-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I just don't like Dish. It's too cheezy.

1080iBeVuMin
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
This is only the first day. Just have to wait... let's see what E* does, and let's see what D* does. Don't panic.

Yes, there are negatives about V* on E*. But 2 big plusses: DVR! and HDNet! I can't count how many threads complained about no DVR and no HDNet. Now you got 'em both with Voom-lite.

DarrellP
05-01-2005, 03:16 PM
All I can say is the PQ rocks! I don't watch SD (other than SD digital OTA) so that is a mute point to me. I now pay $22/month for nothing but HD.

$10: HDPack
$5: Voom10
$2: Extended warranty
$5: No SD programming package fee

ESPNHD
TNTHD
DiscoveryHD
HDNET
HDNET Movies
HDNEWS
MonstersHD
MajesticHD
GuyTV
Ultra
Gallery
Equator
Rave
Rush
NBAHD (when active)
HDEvents (when active)
Demo channel (whoopee)

OTA HD:
ABC
CBS
NBC
PBS
FOX
WB
UPN

salsadancer7
05-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Personally, will wait to see what D* will be announcing in June....might go to Adelphia for about 6 months...AND HDNET and HDNET Movies was and is way overrated.....

1080iBeVuMin
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
All I can say is the PQ rocks! I don't watch SD (other than SD digital OTA) so that is a mute point to me. I now pay $22/month for nothing but HD.

$10: HDPack
$5: Voom10
$2: Extended warranty
$5: No SD programming package fee...DarrellP I didn't know they gave you the option of a "no SD programming" package. Getting just HD for $22 a month?? How many dishes do you have to put up for that? And if I wanted to get local network HD over the D* satellite, would I need another dish? (It would be San Francisco.) Do they offer local networks in HD? Or only SD? Desn't look like you are paying extra for locals -- I guess because you get them OTA. (I can't.)

So, if I also wanted the HD DVR (924? or whatever), I would pay $250 for that, but no extra monthly?

Thanks for your input! Suddenly I am a lot more interested in the Dish offer.

mike123abc
05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
With Dish you do not have to take one of the base AT (standard definition packages). Instead you can opt to pay $5/month for your first receiver fee (this fee is built into the AT60/120/180/AEP packages). So, you can just subscribe to any package they carry.

HD Pack is $9.99
VOOM Pack is $5.00
First RCV is $5.00

So, $20+tax is what you would pay.

Note that doing this you do not get any of the "deals". If you want the 942 for $250 (leasing privilege fee) instead of buying your own on the open market you will not qualify. You have to take at least AT60 to get the deals (free install, free equipment, etc).

If you already have Dish equipment or have a source to get it cheap you can do this.

SeattleVoomer1
05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Now just need to figure out what we need to set up for HD. Looks like another antenna, some type of switcher and another wire through the wall. Suppose a local installer could do all this for us. Then Dish would supply an HD STB? And "authorize" us to receive service?

Will see if we can figure this our over the next few days and go from there. May have more questions for you. Of course, we could just drive down and see your setup which I gather is extensive. Of course, you might not lets us "Northern Pacific Northwesteners" across the Columbia.

However, still enjoying OTA FM (not digital yet but coming!) under increasingly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

DarrellP
05-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Will see if we can figure this our over the next few days and go from there. May have more questions for you. Of course, we could just drive down and see your setup which I gather is extensive. Of course, you might not lets us "Northern Pacific Northwesteners" across the Columbia.
Gill
Gill, I'd love to have you pop on down for a visit. I'm always more than happy to demo my system. It's actually quite simple, I have 2 dishes, one Dish 500 that receives 110 & 119, the other at 61.5. I use a switch21 (2 into 1) to tie the 2 dishes together and run a single coax into my 6000. Of course, my gear is the older, "legacy" equipment, so I don't need the newer DishPro LNB's, at least not yet.

I really need to add another stb so I can record while viewing. That's the one thing I will really miss from Voom. I will use my Voom for OTA as long as I can. I really liked having all the outputs hot at the same time. The Dish 811 does this, but the 921 does not.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys