View Full Version : Dish Network Booth Preview

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

HokieEngineer
01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I wandered through the Dish Network booth today and caught a glimse of them setting up all the demos and equipment. I ran into Leslie Harper and she graciously showed me a few of their new products.

First off, there was external storage for the 622. They are going to allow you to buy your own external usb hard drive and use it with your 622. There will be a one time enabling fee you will have to pay, but no monthly fee. Once the hard drive is used with the 622, it will only work with receivers on that account. Meaning if your 622 breaks the external storage will work with your replacement 622 without losing the data on the external hard drive.

Second was the IPTV demonstration. They were still getting it set up but she said it will be beta tested by live customers that own 622s. At first they will be offering SD programming and then expanding into HD movies. Also starting out, you will have to download the entire program before watching it (so start your download in the morning at watch it at night). Eventually they plan on letting you download the start of the file and then watch it while the rest is downloading (obviously you have to be downloading faster than you are watching for this to work).

Of course none of this is new for Satelliteguys readers, but it was cool to see it in action. Press conference tomorrow should be good and can't wait to play with all the demos. The show floor was nuts with forklift guys zooming all over the place and the construction people putting all the exhibits together. I'm betting they are working all night to get everything together for tomorrow.

dfergie
01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks... Time reference as to when? and fee for each drive or one time only?

HokieEngineer
01-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks... Time reference as to when? and fee for each drive or one time only?

It sounded like they were announcing it tomorrow at the press conference. I'm guessing it will be available to customers soon (probably announce it at the next charlie chat). The fee sounded like it was "per account", meaning its a charge to enable external recording on your receivers.

We'll try and get more details tomorrow. Leslie seemed pretty excited about the new features and was nice to take some time to explain them. It looked like they had just got most of the receivers hooked up, and they were all tuned to CBS-HD for the playoff games (i didnt get a chance to see exactly what channel they were tuned to :))

dfergie
01-08-2007, 12:08 AM
CBSHD... which they killed for us... shame , shame... Good news on the enabling though appreciate it... so hit them up on limits on HDD storage...por favor :)

Don Landis
01-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Nice report in advance of the show, HE. Now I won't need to ask those questions when I get there tomorrow. BTW- How did you sneak in past security?

Scott Greczkowski
01-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I tried getting in a few times and was turned away by security (even with my press badge). Hokie got lucky. :)

riffjim4069
01-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Is the one-time enabling fee per account or per drive? Lots of people here have two or three 622s...

stevenlpkr
01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Good news on the external storage, but what about those with a 625? I want to use my USB port too:-)

Kaydigi
01-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Good news on the external storage, but what about those with a 625? I want to use my USB port too:-)

Does the 625 use USB 2.0?

HokieEngineer
01-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I used the entrance right at the bottom of the escalator you took to get to the press area. There was an older guy working security there and I just sort of walked on in.

They only had a 622 on display at the external recording demo. In fact the only recievers I saw in the whole booth were 211s and 622s, but I will ask about external recording on other platforms.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys