PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Over CAT5

Pages : [1] 2

Scott Greczkowski
04-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Here is a great way for you to get HDTV in a place where you dont want lots of wires or even satellite receivers.

Imagine taking your HD receiver (or even non HD receiver) and putting it somewhere, now you just need to run one wire to your TV, and that is a cat 5 or 6 network cable. Well the future is now.

Introducing the Bobcat from Lynx Broadband, who makes and sells these dongles which converts almost any video signal and send them over to cat 5/6 cable. On the other end of the cable you attach one of the converters which changes the signal from Cat 5 and into a usuable format for your TV.

There are many models available some will even act as an IR repeater if you unit you want to control does not have a UHF remote.

Amazing technology, yet it seems almost too simple!

ke4est
04-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Wow all I can say is cool!!

Cegarrett
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
r these avail. Now?
How Much?
any "Show Discounts"?

Scott Greczkowski
04-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Check them out at http://www.lynxbroadband.com/

VinceT3
04-21-2007, 08:57 AM
there are methods of running hd over cat5 prior to this, but they weren't anywhere as simple as this.. most of them were on dedicated cat5 lines.. this is a very cool product..

I wonder how many of these can run off a 100mb line? I know Media center has some high standards for HD video over a network..

SKYV
04-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Skywalker has same idea divice comp./HDTV over cat5 nothing new.I'm looking for HDMI over Cat 5.I know it there, have not seen a brand.

Bountykiller
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Same here. If you could do HDMI or DVI & TOS I would buy one ;0

-B

VinceT3
04-23-2007, 05:54 AM
Here you go.. expensive though.. 5 bills

http://www.svideo.com/ext-hdtv-cat5.html

Pepper
04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
there are methods of running hd over cat5 prior to this, but they weren't anywhere as simple as this.. most of them were on dedicated cat5 lines.. this is a very cool product..

I wonder how many of these can run off a 100mb line? I know Media center has some high standards for HD video over a network..vince, I notice the connector says "cat-5" not "ethernet". I suspect a dedicated cable is still required.

I'm running standard audio/video over cat-5 now, no equipment at all. I just used a solder gun and put an RCA connector at each end of each pair. I'm guessing this product would be a better quality signal though, and I haven't tried my method with component though I think it would probably work for short distances.

Derwin0
04-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Still needs 2 cat-5e runs boxes if you want sound & video.
Each box basically does 3 lines. Since each line requires 2 wires from the cat5e line, for signal and return, the cat5e run caps out a 4 (4 pairs).
This in turn requires 2 cat-5e lines for component (3 pair for video, 2 pair for audio).

All these boxes do to change an RCA connection to a twisted pair line, with something added to balance and attenuate the line.

Reigster at SatelliteGuys