Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to buy a Direct TV subscription without having it installed?

Post Thanks / Like

How to buy a Direct TV subscription without having it installed?

I want to buy my own equipment from ebay or Direc TV and install it myself. How does the activation process work? At Direct's website there is no info on how to do it without having them install it. BTW, i live in NY.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Once everything is hooked up and you are receiving picture on channel 100 simply call DirecTV and inform them that you are ready to activate. It's as simple as that.

To "own" your own equipment you will need to by via ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. But how does Direct TV activate my account ( after i've payed for it with my CC, of course)? Through the phone line or dish/receiver?

raoul5788 is offline Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satellitefunguy View Post
    Thanks for the info. But how does Direct TV activate my account ( after i've payed for it with my CC, of course)? Through the phone line or dish/receiver?
    It's activated through the dish. Careful here, it sounds like you are going to do something illegal. That is not condoned at Satelliteguys.
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect. What are you talking about? I'm not going to do anything illegal. I said I'm going to pay for my subscription from Direct TV and all i want to know is how do they activate my subscription. I wanted to know if D uses a phone line to activate my account because i don't have a land phone. I only have a cell phone.

Please follow this site's rules of "respect our memebers." This is not condoned at Satelliteguys...

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get a receiver at a number of places like Best Buy, Circuit City or Costco. It will be a lease (you pay a "lease upgrade" charge). You may find dishes at some of these places (not Costco) or online at places like
    Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories

and install it yourself. You can then call Directv and activate the equipment. They may or may not give you some sort of rebate, but if you order from Directv itself, the price will be lower (free in some cases, depending on equipment) and the dish and installation will be included. The 5 LNB dishes are more difficult to align and a special meter is recommended. You will probably have tol pay more to "do it yourself".

If you are a new customer, rather than upgrading, you may have to go through Direct to obtain the equipment. I know they won't activate used equipment for new customers and there have been some recent postings about retailers only selling equipment for upgrading. Be wary of eBay, especially with newer equipment which may be leased not owned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast