Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes speakers to pop?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What causes speakers to pop?

I have a 2 year old Panasonic 5.1 home theater system that just recently started popping occasionally, but it is a very loud and startling pop. It happens infrequently, maybe once every 30-60 minutes, regardless of the source. What typically causes speakers to pop and is there anything I can do to fix it?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    ususally means the speaker is fried.. (or getting to much power).. the coil could be rubbing or expanded.. etc

Post Thanks / Like
    If it happens in all your speakers it's more likley to be a receiver problem

Ilya is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    It happens infrequently, maybe once every 30-60 minutes, regardless of the source.
    Wonder if this could be some sort of static discharge? Perhaps you should check your grounding.
    Ilya @ SatelliteGuys.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
    Wonder if this could be some sort of static discharge? Perhaps you should check your grounding.
    It does happen throughout all the speakers and this post made me think... I bought a new power strip about 6 months ago and the light that indicates proper grounding never came on. I don't know anything about checking it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doubtful it's a grounding issue. The safety ground is just that, for safety purposes. It really has no impact on system noise unless you have a ground loop hum. Is there some new appliance located nearby that is turning on and off? Alot alot of people (myself included) often experience a pop in Dolby Digital mode when a broadcast station switches audio modes. You indicated it happened at regular intervals and from all sources however so it still sounds like a receiver problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast