Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV remote/PS3 control?

Post Thanks / Like

DirecTV remote/PS3 control?

Hello everyone, I'm new as a poster but have visited this forum a few times when looking for answers that I can't easily get from DirecTV.

I've got a question about something that I'm hoping someone on here has tried... can the DirecTV remote be programmed to serve as a DVD remote for the PS3?

I only have 2 HDMI inputs on my tv, and disconnected my DVD player (which was a POS anyway) in order to connect my PS3, and am finding using the controller to control DVD/Blu-ray playback a little annoying, and I'm debating whether or not I should go buy the remote put out by Sony.
    Last edited by HookemNovo; 01-19-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: changed a word to make better sense

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the directv remote will not work for the PS3. The ps3 uses bluetooth. And depending on which remote you have its RF and infared.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! meStevo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, meStevo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, meStevo did! Be COOL like meStevo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tolrar
    i'd throw a post in the Blu-Ray forum asking what people are using for remotes for their PS3s.

The PS3 out of the box has no IR receiver, so the DirecTV remote can not be programmed for the box, the controllers and 1st party remotes are Bluetooth.

Via dongles and whatnot people have gotten Harmony and other universal remotes working, but I am not familiar with those solutions.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could buy the PS3 remote from a gaming store like Gamestop for ~$30.

I have found that it's easier to manipulate than the controller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elstevo View Post
    Via dongles and whatnot people have gotten Harmony and other universal remotes working, but I am not familiar with those solutions.
    I bought the remote with dongle from GameStop, and now am able to control the PS3 via my Harmony remote. Not sure if you'd be able to get it to work with the DirecTV remote or not.

This is what I got at GameStop for $20:
    Amazon.com: PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote: Video Games

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Brewer4 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Brewer4 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Brewer4 did! Be COOL like Brewer4 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info. This is great. Affordable option to make Harmony Universal remote work. Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast