Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi units satellite hookup design

Post Thanks / Like

Multi units satellite hookup design

I have a potential customer interested in the following:

He has 18 apartments that he wants to hookup for DirecTV, Dish Network, and Galaxy 25 service.

He wants to give the tenants the option to choose which service to receive (only one of the pay service and the option of G25). Every unit has two TVs.

He wants to consolidate the installation to a few dishes as possible. The farthest distance from the control room to any of the apartments is around 150ft.

I have an idea on how he should design the network, but I would like to hear your suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the number of dishes is necessarily an issue.
    The number of cables to each unit might be, though.

An important part of the equation, is where he's located, and which birds on Dish he needs to see.
    In some cases, Hi Def subscribers will need different satellites, and for locals, there's also a chance specific birds will need to be received.
    Oh, and being able to get International channels may require reception of yet another satellite.
    There's no good way to down-feed Dish with FTA, either.

As to DirecTV, there are the Ka band birds for hi def, and the queer distribution frequencies they use through their switches.
    I'm pretty sure there's no way to combine this with any other service.

Ya probably will get better response in the Installer Forum department, where the Dish and DirecTV guys who know their stuff can offer input.
    Straight Talk on AT&T iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, BB 3.10.01.
    restoring broken iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, BB 3.4.03.

: BirdView 8' solid & GBox V3000.
    :
    AMCI 8' perf (maybe a DH?) & AJAK-180.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might be best to offer a selection of FTA channels delivered to the individual apartment units via a headend configuration, similar to what is found in hotels, using modulators. The relative complexity of FTA receivers might present a problem to the end users.
    Current systems: 3X GEOSATpro microHD PVRs; Digitrans DTE-7150 DVB/Digicipher II; SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC/QAM networked tuners; fixed 1 meter Channel Master dish with Eagle Aspen P870 FSS stacked Ku LNB; 2X 3ABN 36" dishes with Sadoun KBSL1 stacked Ku LNBFs on Powermax SG-9120B H-H motors; fixed Sadoun SD180G 1.8 meter dish with Eagle Aspen B1SAT stacked C LNBF; Winegard Square Shooter OTA DTV antenna

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dish and FTA would be easy

Dish Network if you use a Dish1000 (I assume you would use bigger dishes) but you could cascade a bunch of DP34's or DP44's 3 lines from the dish to the switch and cascade the switches.

FTA you could use a dual LNB and a bunch of multiswitches. Maybe a 2x16 or use some high frequency splitters at the LNB to multiply those out. Or you have those 3x4 cascadable switches. Those would work too.

DirecTV depends on which dish you get. If you use just the triple dish the multiswitches work the same way (4x8, 4x16 etc)
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Iceberg.

The multi-units are located in California.

Basically the control room (CR) where all the switches will be located will be the hookup point for each apt.

Let's say Apt 1 wants FTA only, so in CR, cables coming from Apt A will be hooked up to FTA multiswitch.

Apt #2 wants DirecTV, so cable coming from Apt 2 will be hooked up to DTV switch and so forth.

Each unit would have to order it's own subscription with the pay service.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I thought you it was being set up that each apt had basically 6 cables in the wall plate. 3 for each room (Direct/Dish/FTA).

What happens if they want both Dish or Direct & FTA? How would that work? You would need 2 lines probably 3. Also if they want Dish or Direct the DVR's need 2 lines. Dish would be easier as a DPP44+ switch could do both tuners off one line and all they would need is a separator. But DirecTV you need two lines for the DVR unless you get to stackers/destackers and they can get SPENDY

My opinion is I would run 3 lines to each cable jack. 2 for DBS (2 lines as a backup in case they want a DVR) and one for FTA. In the control room you could have all the FTA set up so there is no switching there. Everybody can have the option to have it. But the two lines for Dish/Direct you would have to wire up as need be.

so in apt 1 if they want Dish, then wires 1a & 1b would go to Dish switch. If Apt 2 wants DirecTV and they have a DVR, then its 2a & 2b. If Apt 3 wants just G25 there would be no wiring to be moved as all apts would get that option.
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast