Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LNBF & Dish Size

Post Thanks / Like

LNBF & Dish Size

Well the new tech got my motor working now but I can't get a lot of channels on Galaxy 25 or a few other satellites. The tech told me the problem is my dual output LNBF has a noise frequency of .5dB and should be .3dB for a 36" dish. The .5dB is for a larger dish.

He commented that Galaxy 25 has a weak signal here in south Texas and it comes in much better with a 39" dish. In fact, he says with a 39" dish a person doesn't need a motor to pick up the various satellites. Are 39" dishes a lot more expensive? He said the old Prime Star dishes work well too.

So anyway, he is ordering me a new dual output LNBF and I should be in business next week. I do get all the AMC4 channels I am aware of except KUIL FOX. The scan doesn't even pick it up. The scan picked up SafeTV but not Cornerstone. But again, I have LNBF issues.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane , I think we have a couple members here from the Rio Grande Valley who might be able to give you testimonial on the signal quality from Galaxy 25 but from what I could see looking at a Footprint Map on Lyngsat you are borderline 47-48 db and a 36 inch dish is more than sufficient.

I'm sure most signals will come in better with a bigger dish but the notion that a 39 inch Primestar would replace a motor just isn't true.

A better LNB will definitely improve your signal quality and you've said that you have ordered one thru your tech friend , my opinion is that you shouldn't sell yourself short on the technical aspect of FTA and might get some fulfillment from tweaking your own dish or changing an LNB.

BTW I'd love to be in your part of Texas any winter , 2 yrs ago I took my family to Nuevo Progreso in the month of February and I really enjoyed the weather.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shane
    The tech is full of.....well to be polite...boo honkey

lets break down the issues
    Well the new tech got my motor working now but I can't get a lot of channels on Galaxy 25 or a few other satellites.
    right there is problem 1. You should get almost all the channels up there with a motor. Unless the channel is very weak you should be fine. The only sat I have issues with is Satmex5 and that is due to a bad footprint in MN
    The tech told me the problem is my dual output LNBF has a noise frequency of .5dB and should be .3dB for a 36" dish. The .5dB is for a larger dish.
    WRONG! I've used .3, .4, .5, even a .8...right now I use a Sadoun .4 dual on my 30" dish and can get all the G25 stuff just fine near the "other" border (MN) I use ot use a DMSI .5 dual for almost a year with no issues

He commented that Galaxy 25 has a weak signal here in south Texas and it comes in much better with a 39" dish. In fact, he says with a 39" dish a person doesn't need a motor to pick up the various satellites. Are 39" dishes a lot more expensive? He said the old Prime Star dishes work well too.
    he's wrong again. Checking Lyngsat (pic at bottom) both of us have the same levels (48) so the dish should work fine. Again, I'm using a smaller dish than you.

So anyway, he is ordering me a new dual output LNBF and I should be in business next week.
    that won't help. He didnt aim the motor right.

I do get all the AMC4 channels I am aware of except KUIL FOX.
    that should come in just fine. Its lower than the others but works just fine.
    The scan doesn't even pick it up. The scan picked up SafeTV but not Cornerstone. But again, I have LNBF issues.
    no you don't Shane. I hate to say this but the tech doesn't know what he's doing. Has he aimed a motorized system before? I forget exactly where in S Texas you are but 97 should almost be your true south satellite.

the stuff on AMC4 (3ABN, Hope, LLBN) are thundersticks (very strong signals). I can pick them up with a 20" dish carefully tuned. What kinds of signal quality are you getting on those channels?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galaxy25_ku.gif 
Views:	85 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	23430  
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks like jayelem beat me to it
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

qwert1515 is online now SatelliteGuys TheList
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also not all LNB specs can be compared, one companies measurement of .3 db might be worse than another measurement of .5 db.

Here is an interesting page:
    About LNBs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jayelem View Post
    my opinion is that you shouldn't sell yourself short on the technical aspect of FTA and might get some fulfillment from tweaking your own dish or changing an LNB.

The misinformed tech is the very reason I suggested Shane get more involved , and yes 97.0 west is the true south south sat for Progreso ,TX.

Shane when your ready let us know a little bit more about your equipment so we can steer you in the right direction , and if you like take some pictures of your setup and surroundings ........... I love Satellite dish pics.
    Last edited by jayelem; 04-03-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: sounded geeky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast