Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP laptop won't see my 4Gb micro SD card

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Don Landis did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Don Landis did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Don Landis did! Be COOL like Don Landis and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows XP laptop won't see my 4Gb micro SD card

Is there a problem with windows XP seeing a 4 Gb SD card in the SD card slot with an adapter? I can insert the micro SD card in my XV6800 and then tether the phone via USB cable to access the card with active sync, but I'd like to see the 4Gb card direct in the laptop.

My You Tube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

Don Landis

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
    Is there a problem with windows XP seeing a 4 Gb SD card in the SD card slot with an adapter? I can insert the micro SD card in my XV6800 and then tether the phone via USB cable to access the card with active sync, but I'd like to see the 4Gb card direct in the laptop.
    It sounds like you may need newer drivers for the adapter... See this other link:
    Becuase it's MicroSDHC - CNET Windows XP Forums

There's also a hotfix available from MS on this -

Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB

Here's some more info:
    DigitMemo.com Adding SDHC support for Windows — with your old SD card reader

Last edited by jetsetter; 04-06-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added additional information

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Poke did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Poke did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Poke did! Be COOL like Poke and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also make sure that the SD Card is not being assian a driver letter already in use by your laptop. If you go to "Control Panel" Administrator Tools" then inside there check "Computer Management" there should be Disk Management check and see what Drive letter your SD Card is being assign. If it is assign a drive letter that is already in use it will not show up to just right click on your SD Card from here and change the Drive Letter to a Drive letter not in use like X or Z..
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

rockymtnhigh is offline Just Ask for Help!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem last fall, when I got one the day after Thanksgiving. But it wasn't just WinXP, it was also my treo that would not recognize the SDHC card.... thus, why I gave it away during the christmas party here.

Herding Cats since 2007.

Dish: Vip722, 4.5 TB of External HDDs, Dish 1000.2, America 200 w/locals, Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD, Apple TV, Toshiba HD A20 HD DVD, Sony BD player, Denon AVR 1310 Receiver, Infinity sound.
    HT Room: 106" Screen, Mitsi HC1500 720P projector, Dish vip722, Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD; Sony BDP-BX1 BD, Denon AVR788 7.1 receiver; Slingbox HD Pro.

Other: iPad (3rd gen); iPhone 5; 13" core -i5 MacBook Air (2011 model), 13" core i7 Macbook pro (spring 2011), Dell W7 PC

Follow me on twitter @rockymtnhigh , Email: rocky @ satelliteguys.us

PM ME if you'd like a $50 credit when starting a new Dish Network account (and I'll get the same off my bill).

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! snathanb did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, snathanb did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, snathanb did! Be COOL like snathanb and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure post 2 by jetsetter nailed it. Pretty common XP problem. There are a lot of card readers out there, as well, that simply won't support SDHC. I had to apply the same hotfix to 4 computers in my household.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Don Landis did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Don Landis did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Don Landis did! Be COOL like Don Landis and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes indeed. Thanks Jetsetter!

I clicked on the Hotfix link in my laptop and downloaded the hot fix and now my SD slot recognizes the micro SD 4Gb card. Says it will work on the 8 giggers too. Fantastic. Love Satelliteguys rescue service.

BTW- It said it was a beta fix but I took a chance it worked.

One more point. I think it is a hardware issue more than windows XP even though the XP patch resolved it. You see, I was able to read the 4Gb card in a USB adapter that came with it but not the laptop's SD slot. Now the SD slot works after the patch.
    Last edited by Don Landis; 04-06-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    My You Tube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

Don Landis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast