Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: Basic Cable, Dish Network, and OTA Antenna

rockymtnhigh is offline Just Ask for Help!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Basic Cable, Dish Network, and OTA Antenna

Ok, I have an OTA antenna, which I am using in conjunction with my Dish Network system. But I also have basic cable from comcast, which provides unencrypted HD QAM feeds.

I want to be able to add the QAM feed to my primary HDTV. My thought was to see if I could diplex the coax run that currently is limited to the OTA antenna.

Is that possible? Can I combine the comcast and OTA antenna using a diplexer, and then just split it out again at the tv, one going to Dish's Antenna IN, and the other going to the antenna in on the tv?

Herding Cats since 2007.

Dish: Vip722, 4.5 TB of External HDDs, Dish 1000.2, America 200 w/locals, Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD, Apple TV, Toshiba HD A20 HD DVD, Sony BD player, Denon AVR 1310 Receiver, Infinity sound.
    HT Room: 106" Screen, Mitsi HC1500 720P projector, Dish vip722, Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD; Sony BDP-BX1 BD, Denon AVR788 7.1 receiver; Slingbox HD Pro.

Other: iPad (3rd gen); iPhone 5; 13" core -i5 MacBook Air (2011 model), 13" core i7 Macbook pro (spring 2011), Dell W7 PC

Follow me on twitter @rockymtnhigh , Email: rocky @ satelliteguys.us

PM ME if you'd like a $50 credit when starting a new Dish Network account (and I'll get the same off my bill).

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! RandallA did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, RandallA did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, RandallA did! Be COOL like RandallA and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Is that possible? Can I combine the comcast and OTA antenna using a diplexer, and then just split it out again at the tv, one going to Dish's Antenna IN, and the other going to the antenna in on the tv?"

No, it's not possible. A diplexer combines CATV/UHF/VHF and satellite signals. One way to do it is to combine OTA and CATV with a regular splitter and then combine those two with the satellite signal using the diplexer. At the other end you use another diplexer to split the signals and another splitter to split the OTA and CATV.

The problem with that is that your antenna will be broadcasting the CATV channels and AFAI it's illegal to broadcast them. I would just run a second cable but others might have other suggestions like the Super Node or the use of notch filters.

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah... wasn't thinking about it serving as a broadcasting of the signal; was just thinking it was a coax line that I could use.

Obviously I could use that line if I was willing to disable the OTA channels, by disconnecting the antenna's coax, but that was not my goal. Just want to find a way to get the QAM feeds while leaving the Dish stuff alone.

Herding Cats since 2007.

Dish: Vip722, 4.5 TB of External HDDs, Dish 1000.2, America 200 w/locals, Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD, Apple TV, Toshiba HD A20 HD DVD, Sony BD player, Denon AVR 1310 Receiver, Infinity sound.
    HT Room: 106" Screen, Mitsi HC1500 720P projector, Dish vip722, Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD; Sony BDP-BX1 BD, Denon AVR788 7.1 receiver; Slingbox HD Pro.

Other: iPad (3rd gen); iPhone 5; 13" core -i5 MacBook Air (2011 model), 13" core i7 Macbook pro (spring 2011), Dell W7 PC

PM ME if you'd like a $50 credit when starting a new Dish Network account (and I'll get the same off my bill).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallA View Post
    "Is that possible? Can I combine the comcast and OTA antenna using a diplexer, and then just split it out again at the tv, one going to Dish's Antenna IN, and the other going to the antenna in on the tv?"

No, it's not possible. A diplexer combines CATV/UHF/VHF and satellite signals. One way to do it is to combine OTA and CATV with a regular splitter and then combine those two with the satellite signal using the diplexer. At the other end you use another diplexer to split the signals and another splitter to split the OTA and CATV.

The problem with that is that your antenna will be broadcasting the CATV channels and AFAI it's illegal to broadcast them. I would just run a second cable but others might have other suggestions like the Super Node or the use of notch filters.

This arrangement wouldn't create a broadcast of cable signals since they are flowing in the same direction as the OTA signals towards the box. Splitters usually have high RF Isolation between OUT ports so the cable signals wouldn't be flowing from the OUT port where they are being fed in to over to the OUT port where the OTA is being fed in to.

I think his biggest problem with doing this would be the possibility of some OTA stations sharing the same frequencies as the QAM signals he's trying to receive.

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My research has shown that I can't diplex OTA and basic cable; they use the same frequencies.

I can diplex Dish and Basic Cable, BUT there is a chance I will have that overlap problem with the QAM feeds. I haven't taken the time to try it yet; primarily since to do the test I will need to pull the TV off the wall, and feed some coax up the wall; not hard, just haven't had time to try it yet.

Herding Cats since 2007.