Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IPTV Buffering problems

Post Thanks / Like

IPTV Buffering problems

If you're IPTV box is continually buffering, here's a solution:

If you have only one computer, this won't work.

If you have more than one computer, get a switch and connect it to your broadband router. Connect all of your computers to the switch. In this way, your computers will get a lower priority than the IPTV box(es).

Here's my setup: two IPTV boxes and four computers. My boxes were buffering all the time! I finally realized that if I would connect a switch to my router, and then connect all the computers to the switch, each IPTV box would get 1/3 of the bandwidth, and all the computers together would get 1/3 of the bandwidth.

Another thing I did is I went to the QoS section of my router, and I gave HIGH priority to the ports where the IPTV boxes were connected.

Since doing this, I've had little or no buffering problems.

If you have wireless, then you could probably get a wireless switch for your computers, and use the wireless router for your IPTV boxes. Connect the switch to the router (either wired or wirelessly), and you should achieve the same result I did.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I failed to mention in the above posting that my IPTV boxes are connected to the router!

Basically, there are three devices hooked to my router: my two IPTV boxes, and my switch.

Then all of the computers are hooked to the switch.

That's why each device hooked to the router gets 1/3 of the bandwidth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still getting buffering problems. Here's how I've dealt with it:

1. Called Sky Angel. They moved me to a different server, which helped.

2. Increased my internet speed.

I still sometimes get buffering problems. Whenever it happens, I run the speed test, and I find that I am usually running under 1 mb during those times. Best I can figure, since I have cable internet (as opposed to DSL), the speed goes down in the evening, because everyone in the neighborhood is at home and on line.

I thought about getting DSL, but in my neighborhood, the fastest DSL I can get is 1.5 mb, and that won't work for me, because I have two IPTV boxes, plus three computers.

When it really gets bad, I turn off one of the IPTV boxes, to allow the other one to get more bandwidth. But there are moments when the bandwidth coming to the house is so slow that neither IPTV box will work.

IPTV is great technology, but it's just a little ahead of its time. Home bandwidth speed hasn't advanced enough just yet.

But I'm sticking with Sky Angel. Especially when I travel, because I can bring it with me and watch it in my hotel, if the hotel offers high-speed internet in the rooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    I occasionally have buffering problems, too, but not often at all. It's usually early in the morning (maybe people are on-line before they go to work) or later in the evening. When I check the speed, it is less than 1.0 during those times. I have Comcast Internet and it is supposed to be "up to 10" . . . but is generally more like 5.0. I always know the problem will not last very long. I still love having Sky Angel . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevJimbo View Post
    Called Sky Angel. They moved me to a different server, which helped.
    Do you know which server they moved you to?

Does anybody know besides New York where are their other servers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Automate View Post
    Do you know which server they moved you to?

Does anybody know besides New York where are their other servers?
    I know there is an N server and P server. There may be more. Last monday, I as moved to the N Server, after i was having constant problems with Fox News during the opening day of the Democratic Convention.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast