Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starz HD PQ is awful

Post Thanks / Like

Starz HD PQ is awful

Has anyone else had a problem with Starz HD? I tried watching 3 different movies throughout the week since signing up for starz and all three have looked awful.

For example on Monday we tried to watch Enchanted. The picture was not OAR but almost 4 x 3 stretched. Last night we went to watch Spiderman 3 and there was black crush throughout the picture to the extent that the film was way too dark. I have had no problems with cinemax and even HBO which many rate as inferior to the other premiums has had a better picture.

Is this a temporary flaw with Starz or is this how they always air their programs?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! tigerfan33 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, tigerfan33 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, tigerfan33 did! Be COOL like tigerfan33 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may not be hd. There are several movies I have seen on there that was 16:9 but was not hd.

Did the guide say hd on info.??

I watched Spiderman 3 briefly last night and all was well. I do notice that the Max hds and HBOs in general have been better pq.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: damon-77_
    What?, You guys must be on the 129 then . Starz has Great PQ, so does Cinemax and HBO. I've not 1 complaint about the Premium HD PQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi 6.1 View Post
    What?, You guys must be on the 129 then . Starz has Great PQ, so does Cinemax and HBO. I've not 1 complaint about the Premium HD PQ
    +1 And I am on 129.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the premium movie channels have great HD PQ. However, when they air a NON-HD movie, or the few really poor transfers, then it looks bad, but that is Starz poor quality, not Dish.

The quality of transferring from film to HD can vary, depending upon how much the studio wants to spend. The Star Wars movies are about the best quality digital transfer, but they use huge bandwidth (when transferring to the digital master) and spend the money to make it look great. Meanwhile a low budget digital transfer can still display the film artifacts with the graininess of the film apparent or poor color accuracy or many other un-aesthetic things including imperfections from the print. MGM HD has aired several crappy HD transfers. They aren't spending the money to make the channel and its content look good.

There are other anomalies (mostly dealing with transmission/stream problems) that are Dish's fault regarding HD, but it has been my observation that the Dish HD PQ quality is really quite good on Dish and if it isn't, it is usually the fault of the channel. History Channel can distort a non-HD program to fill the widescreen, but Dish gets the blame for it looking bad when it is really History Channel's fault.
    Last edited by DishSubLA; 08-22-2008 at 03:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a quick view of the 1st 10 mins and there were no problems. Now the cartoons at the start of the movie are in 4X3 since they were originally made that way. So don't know why you have such a bad pix.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast