Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding SWM - I think I got it

Post Thanks / Like

Understanding SWM - I think I got it

So my install date is the 30th. I balked in another thread at the realization you have to run two coax lines to each box. I just recently moved in and installed coax to each room which I thought would be sufficient - but I guess not if we all want DVRs and the ability to record two shows at once or watch live TV while recording another show.

So the SWM was mentioned and I think I understand the gist of it. I can get an SWM-8 from some online store and then I need to buy some sort of 4 way splitter to run single lines to each DVR?

Here is a PDF I found on SWM8.com which I think explains how I need to set up my system:

http://www.swm8.com/3-4DVR-SWM1-1SPLIT.pdf

So I buy the SWM8 Multiswitch and hook up a SWS-4 Splitter and then off of that, I just run the coax to each box - correct?

The gal on the phone stated they will be installing HR-21s, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

And lastly, will the DirecTV installer help me with the multiswitch? Or will he just do a basic install and make me install the multiswitch. And is the multiswitch covered under DirecTV? Or if something goes wrong will they immediately blame it on the Multiswitch and tell me to uninstall it before they can help me?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Rey is online now @ your service
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    or you could just buy a swm lnb. there are some on ebay for a little more that $100. i got mine for $125. works great. how many dvr's do you have? if you have no more that 4 this would be a good solution. 1 wire to each dvr.
    Dish Member 1999-2008,2013 2-Hoppers w/sling, Directv Member 2008-2013, Sirius Member 2003-2012
    If you like this site and want to help by becoming a pub member click here
    If you're already a pub member and want to only make a donation click here
    Official SatelliteGuys Rules

Post Thanks / Like
    If you utilize the OTA port on the SWM8 can you use any diplexer (40-2150Mhz) to separate the signal at the receiver or does it need to be a special diplexer rated for SWM?

Post Thanks / Like
    With the national kickoff of the swm equipment, if you install at least one hd dvr, chances are D* will flag your install as a SWM. Needless to say, you'll want a qualified tech to do the install. Just like everything else that's new, it's not entirely bug-free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jtwex View Post
    If you utilize the OTA port on the SWM8 can you use any diplexer (40-2150Mhz) to separate the signal at the receiver or does it need to be a special diplexer rated for SWM?
    There is no OTA port on the splitter. There is currently no diplexer compatible with the SWM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sat.ninja View Post
    There is no OTA port on the splitter. There is currently no diplexer compatible with the SWM.

No OTA port on the SWM8:
    http://www.swm8.com/1DVR-SWM1-0SPLIT.pdf

No Splitter compatible with the SWM:
    DirecTV SWM8 - Single Wire Multiswitch - 9 Including Power Inserter - Free Shipping

(Scroll about half way down the page for the diplexer)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast