Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: What Do the New Smart Cards Look Like?

Post Thanks / Like

What Do the New Smart Cards Look Like?

What do the new 3G smart cards look like, that work with the eastern arc?

Any identifying marks/label/text on them?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I just learned something surprising. Neither my 722, nor my 622 have smart cards in them. I thought every receiver had to have one to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    They have them,there just built in,there is a slot in the front for your new card when you get it.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! JohnL did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, JohnL did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, JohnL did! Be COOL like JohnL and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Race View Post
    Well, I just learned something surprising. Neither my 722, nor my 622 have smart cards in them. I thought every receiver had to have one to work?
    Race,

Both DirecTV and Dish Network use a Conditional Access System, Neither are compatible with each other.

All Dish Receivers have a Smart Card Slot, many of the newer Dish receivers have the current incarnation of their Conditional Access system encoded into the actual Circuit board inside the receiver. Once a Smart Card is inserted into the vacant Smart Card slot it disables the Conditional Access System on these receiver's internal circuit boards.

So even though the newer Dish receivers do not have an actual Smart card in their Card slots does NOT mean they are not using a "Smart Card", its just built into the receiver directly.

John