Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Dish Network on Young Broadcasting Removal

Scott Greczkowski is online now HERE TO HELP YOU!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: scottct1

Statement from Dish Network on Young Broadcasting Removal

(Note from Scott... Dish was forced to drop about 10 Young Broadcast stations from its lineup tonight, the press release below is just for one of the 10 removed, however instead of posting each press release for each station I will just post it once. )

YOUNG BROADCASTING, INC. FORCES DISH NETWORK® TO REMOVE ITS
    ALBANY, N.Y. ABC CHANNEL FROM ITS LINEUP

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Dec. 11, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) today announced that it has been forced to remove WTEN (ABC) Ch. 10 from its programming lineup in Albany, N.Y.

Young Broadcasting, Inc. is demanding unreasonable contract terms and an excessive rate increase for continued carriage on DISH Network – an increase that DISH Network is unwilling to pass on to customers. To protect customers from unreasonable rate increases and to ensure they pay only a fair amount every month, DISH Network draws the line at such excess and challenges strong-arm tactics. In the last few years, DISH Network has negotiated for retransmission consent with nearly 1,000 other local TV stations and has reached a fair agreement with all of them.

“It is unfortunate that Young Broadcasting has forced us into this situation and caused this disruption to our customers,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “Our goal is to remain the best value for our customers and in order to do this, we need fair contracts with competitive pricing for the channels our customers want to watch. This is why we refuse to accept Young Broadcasting’s unreasonable terms.”

DISH Network’s contract with Young Broadcasting expired on Dec. 10, 2008. The absence of a contract means that DISH Network is no longer able to provide WTEN to its subscribers.

As programming fees comprise a significant percentage of DISH Network’s expenses, Young Broadcasting’s demands would translate into a significant cost increase that DISH Network would have to pass along to its customers in the form of higher monthly bills.

“We deeply regret the inconvenience this disruption may cause any of our subscribers,” Sahl added. “Subscribers should rest assured that we continue to take the necessary steps to ensure that DISH Network remains the source for the best quality TV at the best total value.”

DISH Network encourages subscribers to visit
    Fair Satellite

for more information.

Scott

Thinking about signing up for DISH? Use one of these codes and we BOTH save $50! - HOP019897404 - AHP046085712 - HOP017098428 THANK YOU!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like

I'm With Dish

I'm with Dish on this one, Young Broadcasting is getting to greedy.
    I hope Dish holds out for a fair contract so they make it clear that this is unacceptable.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! tawhite did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, tawhite did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, tawhite did! Be COOL like tawhite and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    This crap is getting old, real old! We had the same deal with another local within the last 6m to a year. The only common denominator is Dish!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! HDRoberts did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, HDRoberts did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, HDRoberts did! Be COOL like HDRoberts and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    One last hurrah for Eric Sahl, I guess.

It would be nice if Dish said what kind of increase they were looking for. It seems from Young's infor, the are looking for around $0.30/month/sub.

I've only had Dish for 3 years total, but I've never seem them have any trouble with Cleveland stations.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! navychop did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, navychop did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, navychop did! Be COOL like navychop and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per "what" subs? Surely not all Dish subs. But maybe all subs that pay for LiL that includes their station? Or that number of subs multiplied by what Nielsen says is their share of the market? Bet they're trying to max their take by stretching the count. A penny a day sounds so reasonable, until you look closely.
    Reunite Pangaea!

Appreciate my posts AND thinking of Signing Up for DISH? Please consider using one of my referral codes below and we will both save $50 on our DISH bill!
    DRD703497211 / DRD592770150 / ADP0029743389
    To redeem the code go to http://tinyurl.com/dishreferral or you can call 888-284-7103 or your local participating DISH retailer!
    (If you use one of my codes THANK YOU! Please PM when you use the code so I can remove the used code!)

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Rangers484 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Rangers484 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Rangers484 did! Be COOL like Rangers484 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say Dish pays per subscriber for retransmission rights and the local station pays Dish for the percentage increase in ad revenue that the extra subscribers generates.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast