Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecting dish to existing cable.

Post Thanks / Like

Connecting dish to existing cable.

Hi
    I recently installed an 85cm Fortec Star dish with an SG2100 motor. I currently have the RG6 cable from the motor running through my kitchen door, squashing the cable until I figure a better way to get the cable into the house. Is it possible to use my cable company's outdoor connection to feed my dish signal into the rooms. I have discontinued my cable TV but still use the broadband internet service. I have thought of using a slitter to couple the cable and satellite signal into the cable that runs in the house. Im reluctant to try for a few reasons.
    1. The receiver sends out some voltage to feed the motor. Maybe this would blow my cable modem.
    2. I already have 100 feet of RG6 cable coming from the motor. The added house cable could lower the signal. Of course I could reduce it by 20-30 feet if needed.
    3. The internet and satellite signal might not be compatible.
    4. Would the cable company allow this?

Has anyone tried this in a similar situation?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but, the CATV co's cable cannot share with your dish.

You will need to run a 2nd cable into your house.

They do make flat "under window" cables that are like 4 inches that allow you to put the cable in thru a window and then close the window, but, that would be a last resort.

Better thing is to drill a 2nd hole near where the CATV comes in because there should be a ground there where you can get a ground block and ground your dish cable before it comes into your house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your advice. I was unaware of the flat RG6 and it sounds tempting but I will see if I can pass the coax through the attic. I have already grounded the dish (not the cable) to an outdoor faucet (about 10 feet away). Does the cable also need grounding. I do not have the RG6 with ground wire so I just attached a point on the dish to the faucet using a grounding bracket and 10 gauge wire.

Chris

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glen4cindy View Post
    Sorry, but, the CATV co's cable cannot share with your dish.
    actually if there was no splitters in the line it would work with a diplexer

antenna & cable (CATV) run at lower frequencies than satellite
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by angelis75 View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I was unaware of the flat RG6 and it sounds tempting but I will see if I can pass the coax through the attic. I have already grounded the dish (not the cable) to an outdoor faucet (about 10 feet away). Does the cable also need grounding. I do not have the RG6 with ground wire so I just attached a point on the dish to the faucet using a grounding bracket and 10 gauge wire.

Chris
    When you ground the coax, you don't need the coax with messenger wire, the ground block actually grounds the shield of the coax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    actually if there was no splitters in the line it would work with a diplexer

antenna & cable (CATV) run at lower frequencies than satellite
    What concerned me about him trying to use a diplexer was his internet service.

Would the diplexer interfere with the two-way operation of the cable modem?

I was just saying that based upon my previous experience as a cable internet installer. Some consumer installed devices on the same cable line often caused problems with the transmission of the cable modem signals necessary for internet use. Just trying to be safe!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast