Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installer training

Post Thanks / Like

Installer training

Hi everyone. I am interested in becoming an installer (changing careers) and wonder if there is a place on the net where I can get "trained", download some useful installation instructions, etc. I feel lucky to have found this site and hope that I can join this exciting field. Or if none of the above, how does one go about getting trained to be an installer?

Thank you for any info you can pass my way.

Alexis

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, you can learn a LOT just here at satelliteguys.us!

Here is the best way to learn all about the art of satellite installation and whats required ( TRUCK + Breathing : ) )

www.dbsinstallsupport.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter,

Thanks for the link. I have read that a few days before. So you mean thats it?!?!? Certainly there is more to it than that. It sounds so easy.

Since I first posted the first one, I found the SBCA organization and their NSTP certification training programs around the country. Seems like there are a lot of them. I just got off the phone with a guy who owns a company that has a major upgrade contract in TN. He offered on the job training and certification while I get paid. I'm only hesitent because it sounds too good to be true. Are there THAT good of job opprotunities available in this field? He's telling me that they pay $45 to $50 per visit to upgrade existing systems...not new installs, and since they are grouped together, that you can get 8 to 9 done in a day. They work 7 days a week and have about 35,000 customers needing the work. For someone who's been out of work for a while, this is sounding too good to be true. Alls I need is a truck, and the basic tools, and I'm in. I might have to give it a try. I'd only be out about $200 if it turns out to be a bust.

Wish me luck! And I'd like to hear any opinions to all this.

Alexis

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to get everything in writing, as far as the "BASIC TOOLS" the basic tools, could add up to be a little pricey ecspecially if you've been out of work for a while. Ladders, drills, inclinometer, satellite finder, let alone gas, and insurance, if you need to have that. Check to see what they suuply as far as iinstallation supplies also. Maybe a ride along with another tech wouls be a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wooble,

The list didn't sound bad. A good drill gun (I'm assuming cordless) a compression tool, stripper, screw driver, compass 7/16" socket and a channel master meter, which is the most expensive thing. So maybe around $300. Lodging is paid for for the first 2 weeks, then a monthly stipend of $250.

Anyway, I think you are right...I just need to go and see it for myself...especially the part about being able to do 8 or 9 upgrades in a day. If thats possible, then whatever the outlay is, its worth it.

Thanks for your opinion.

Alexis

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only training and test I have seen online and its free is for StarBand at their website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast