Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help...picture "stretch" vs "normal"

Post Thanks / Like

Help...picture "stretch" vs "normal"

HI everyone,

I'm a new HDTV owner and have a question I was hoping someone could answer. We just got DISH Network and it seems that a lot of channels (even some in HD) have their stations displayed on my TV in the "squished" format
    there's a blue box that pops up on the upper right that sometimes says "stretched" and sometimes says "normal." I know there's a "format" button on my TV's remote, but I was wondering if there's a way to permanently set it on a certain format so I don't have to switch every time we go to a new channel.

Any help?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Hall did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Hall did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Hall did! Be COOL like Hall and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, don't start using the "format" button on the Dish remote and on your TV's remote. Set your TV to "Default" or "Normal" or whatever does nothing to the picture. Or, set your Dish receiver to "Normal" and use your TV's remote to change the picture format. Again, just don't use both.

Because every channel sends their picture differently, Dish receivers deal with each channel individually. There is no "All" setting for what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have HD programming you may need to set both HD and SD to be "Normal" - I have all my HD channels at "Normal" and all the SD at "stretch" so that I don't get the pillar boxes. I have a plasma so I am always paranoid about image retention - if I had an LCDTV I would have both at normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodieb View Post
    If you have HD programming you may need to set both HD and SD to be "Normal" - I have all my HD channels at "Normal" and all the SD at "stretch" so that I don't get the pillar boxes. I have a plasma so I am always paranoid about image retention - if I had an LCDTV I would have both at normal.

How do I do this?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dennispap did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dennispap did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dennispap did! Be COOL like dennispap and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane View Post
    How do I do this?
    The bottom left button on your dish remote . It is a * marked "format"
    cycle through until you get to normal.
    It has normal, grey bar, stretch, zoom, partial zoom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hall View Post
    First, don't start using the "format" button on the Dish remote and on your TV's remote. Set your TV to "Default" or "Normal" or whatever does nothing to the picture. Or, set your Dish receiver to "Normal" and use your TV's remote to change the picture format. Again, just don't use both.

Because every channel sends their picture differently, Dish receivers deal with each channel individually. There is no "All" setting for what you want.

I was only using the format button on my TV remote b/c I didn't realize there was a way to do this on the DISH remote. Is there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast