Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up Direct TV?

Post Thanks / Like

Setting up Direct TV?

Setting up Direct TV have Direct TV receiver should the settings in HDTV be native be on or off ? and corlor bar be black? should it be pillar or ?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sportman3 View Post
    Setting up Direct TV have Direct TV receiver should the settings in HDTV be native be on or off ? and corlor bar be black? should it be pillar or ?
    Didn't like the answers at the other forum?

Post Thanks / Like

Trying get a answer pillar bars ?

I saw in pillar bars for example like mtn sports goes back and fourth between bars and streach espn non hd goes to streach ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sportman3 View Post
    I saw in pillar bars for example like mtn sports goes back and fourth between bars and streach espn non hd goes to streach ?
    Not exactly sure I understand your question. Your TV has an aspect ratio that you can set. Some TV's allow you to adjust aspect for both SD & HD, others only let you adjust SD. Most TV's allow you to set the aspect for SD separate from the aspect for HD. So HD channels may show the bars, because they are set to 16 x9. SD channels are 4x3, but if you have the TV set to 16x9, you will get a stretched picture.

I was waiting for one of the moderators to answer, but they must be busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Pillar settings

DIRECT TV I found settings hdtv can not find Pillar settings it will not go to lt ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what it is you're asking for but I think it depends on your TV set.

A lot of people prefer to turn the NATIVE ON and go with the Screen Format as ORIGINAL FORMAT. I would suggest you set your Bar Color as DARK GRAY if you have plasma set.

Don't forget to set your TV resolutions to what your set is capable of displaying. If using HDMI with the Native setting, you'll want to select 480p, 720p and higher if your set will work with those resolutions. What I like about the Native is that it doesn't do so much upscaling but lets my set do it so I get a better SD picture.

You can try the different settings for yourself to see what your preferences are. My TV set and DirecTv HD DVR are both set to 16*9 aspect.

As far as the pillars are concerned, there's still a lot of LETTER BOX events and I'd just get used to seeing them because the picture just doesn't look right stretched and it takes too long and too much effort to tinker with TV and STB settings trying to get rid of them.

I'd check out the A/V forums for optimum TV settings for your individual HDTV set too. But only change user adjustable settings on your TV if you want to try someone else's settings.

I hope that answers your questions. Good luck!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast