Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I tell if my LNB is going bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow How can I tell if my LNB is going bad?

I have had my Chapparel C-band lnb for quite a number of years. (Don't hold its age against it). The lnb has worked fine for all these years, but now a possibility exists that it is going bad.

What are the symptoms?

What can I do to check the lnb and tell whether or not it is going bad or has failed?

Let's assume for the moment that my receivers are working properly. No failing parts. (I have a DSR920 and a DSR922). I also have a SV360 Elite slaved to one of the DSRs.

The symptoms of picture quality when the SV360 was hooked up to the DSR920 would be:

The DSR920 is off while the SV360 is on. -- Picture cuts out -- No signal.
    The DSR920 is turned on momentarily, signal comes back on the SV360. The DSR920 is turned back off. Picture good for a variable amount of time. Then the picture cuts out -- no signal.

Now, I change all the connections from the DSR920 to the DSR922. No loss of signal. One day later, all of a sudden, the SV360 picture cuts out. I turn on the DSR922 and the picture on the screen (we're talking g4-16--Preacher) is trying to come in, but won't. (I am using G4-16 as the polarity monitor for vertical. G4-17 as the horizontal polarity). The screen keeps flashing the picture, but cuts out).

If the lnb is failing or has failed, what would be the recommended replacement lnb for c/ku for my 10 foot mesh dish. (I am wanting to change to c/ku anyway for more channels, especially sports).

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Lak7 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Lak7 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Lak7 did! Be COOL like Lak7 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the SV360 outputs enough power for the LNBs or the Servo is not working correctly.
    How is the SV360 connected, High Freq Splitters?
    10' Unimesh, with Bullseye II Feed and PLL LNBs, GBox 3000, feeding Omicom S2 & TBS5925.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't gotten that far yet about checking the voltage cause I just don't know exactly where to check and how to do it. I do have a volt meter with the prongs.

Also, the lnb was connected directly into the DSR922. Then tried the direct connection to the DSR920 and now have the lnb connected directly to my analog Uniden receiver. Symptoms of bad picture when each of those units were turned on and the SV360 off.

Thanks.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Lak7 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Lak7 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Lak7 did! Be COOL like Lak7 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd check that the Servo is working first.

Voltage Meter probes are usually too thick to fit into the F Connector, you may have to use a small piece of coax cable.
    The SV360 only outputs 13 or 18 volts (depending on the TPs polarity), and your LNB probably likes 18-22 Volts.
    10' Unimesh, with Bullseye II Feed and PLL LNBs, GBox 3000, feeding Omicom S2 & TBS5925.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lak7. I will try the wire.

Any suggestions for a c/ku linear lnb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions for a c/ku linear lnb?
    I use the DMX741 and please with performance.
    I have not used the CK1, other report that it performs good, maybe even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast