Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

        

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 125

Thread: 722K + OTA Module

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 20th, 2009
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    722K + OTA Module

    I am currently a DISH Network customer and have been for the past 11 years. My current setup is a 40" Samsung LCD (TV 1), HD-DVD player (for up-scaling abilities only), and the Dish DuoDVR 625 receiver. I also have a 32" Vizio (TV 2) in the bedroom connected to the 625 via coax cable (its about 20 feet away).

    TV 1 is connect through a S-Video cable (which is the best method for the 625 receiver) and composite audio cable. TV 2 is straight Coax. Last week I bought a 50 ft composite cable and hook up the second TV that method but saw no video quality improvement.

    So my next step was to contact DISH and inquire about an HD receiver. My wife called the first time and they told her it would be $299 for a HD-DVR receiver and $150 installation plus sign another 2 year contract. Luckily she didn't say OK without talking to me first.

    So I call them the next day and ask them why they have an advertisement on their site that says "Up to 3 HD receivers for free..." yet they are going to charge me, who has been a loyal customer for 11 years over $300 for 1 receiver.



    After some discussion we reached an agreement. They are going to offer me 2 HD-DVR's (722 or 722k...cant remember), Turbo Bronze Package, and Free installation for $53/month.

    I am more than like going to call back and go with it (I had them put it in my notes so the next CSR knows the whole story).

    I have heard/read a few different places the 722/722k receivers come with a OTA module for receiving off the air channels? True?
    (I already subscribe to my locals in SD so they will show up in my channel guide).

    Currently I have an indoor Phillips antenna that a friend loaned me and I receive about 7 channels (most in 1080i or 720p some are in 480i but those are the latino stations). I can run the antenna out the bedroom window and pick up about 10 stations which led me to purchase a DB8 Multi-Directional antenna last week.








    Edit: Does the 722k come with a built in OTA module? I only watch my local channels so that's all I really care about getting, but DISH does not offer my local stations in HD (DirectTV said they can though).
    Last edited by j_met; 09-20-2009 at 11:03 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

    Reigster at SatelliteGuys
     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 20th, 2009
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter
    Another question would be can I run the coax from the satellite and the coax from the OTA antenna on one line with the use of a diplexer on one end and a separator on the other end or would it be better to run the satellite line and a different line for the OTA antenna and then use splitters to run to the individual receivers ?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 18th, 2005
    Location
    64133
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, hardware clarification. The 722 has a built-in OTA tuner, the 722k requires a $40 add-in tuner module. The K model is superior to the non-K, and it's worth $40 per unit to have it installed, as it adds TWO OTA tuners to the box, while the 722 will always have only one.

    Second, I'm afraid you have the wrong antenna for what you want to do. If rabbit ears were effective, or any indoor-type antenna, you could have gotten away with a DB2 for a third the cost of the DB8, and a DB2 has a much broader beam width (stronger signal off-center). If the DB8 is up, leave it. If you can still exhange it, do so.

    For the third question I noticed (second post from you), it is better to run four conductors; one OTA to each receiver and one lead from the LNB to each reciever. Diplexing is technically possible, but you get mixed results, and the installer technician may not be willing to do it for you, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

    You'd need four diplexers and a splitter. The splitter would go to the antenna, and each diplexer would have an OTA input and one output from the LNB, then you only need two RG6 cables to penetrate the house instead of four.

    PS - If you post your zip code, I'd like to point you to a better OTA antenna option. Antennaweb kinda' sucks; TVFool.com offers a lot more data.

    PPS - Just remember that the 625 is probably the best, fastest, and most reliable DVR that Dish has ever made. The 722 has big shoes to fill, and you won't like it at first. You'll get used to it over time, though.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 30th, 2006
    Location
    Great High Plains
    Posts
    8,935
    Post Thanks / Like

    $30

    The OTA module for the 722K is just $30. The $40 is the price to add an ext HDD.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 20th, 2009
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDren View Post
    First, hardware clarification. The 722 has a built-in OTA tuner, the 722k requires a $40 add-in tuner module. The K model is superior to the non-K, and it's worth $40 per unit to have it installed, as it adds TWO OTA tuners to the box, while the 722 will always have only one.
    When I call them back I will request two 722k receivers and I don't mind dishing out the extra $40 for the dual OTA tuners on each.

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDren View Post
    Second, I'm afraid you have the wrong antenna for what you want to do. If rabbit ears were effective, or any indoor-type antenna, you could have gotten away with a DB2 for a third the cost of the DB8, and a DB2 has a much broader beam width (stronger signal off-center). If the DB8 is up, leave it. If you can still exhange it, do so.
    I don't have the antenna yet, last time I checked it will be delivered tomorrow.....My thinking was yes it may be "overkill" but better than too good of an antenna, than a crappy one.... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SDV2940-27-Digital-Outdoor/dp/B001K7ID60"]Amazon.com: Philips SDV2940/27 UHF Digital and Analog Indoor/Outdoor TV Antenna: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31JJd1xP1hL.@@AMEPARAM@@31JJd1xP1hL[/ame] is what I currently have.....and not all of the stations come in perfectly but is "sufficient" until I get the outdoor one installed....right now the antenna is sitting right behind the TV and on some channels will "break up & pixelate"...........I suppose I could just return the DB8 tomorrow if you say it might not do as good as a DB2

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDren View Post
    For the third question I noticed (second post from you), it is better to run four conductors; one OTA to each receiver and one lead from the LNB to each reciever. Diplexing is technically possible, but you get mixed results, and the installer technician may not be willing to do it for you, but it doesn't hurt to ask

    You'd need four diplexers and a splitter. The splitter would go to the antenna, and each diplexer would have an OTA input and one output from the LNB, then you only need two RG6 cables to penetrate the house instead of four.
    This is the hard part to understand/explain for me.....I think I will understand better once DISH people install everything and then I can tell yall exactly how it looks and what they used..........Is there a program that I can download so that I can actually draw how I perceive it will be ? (Like a wiring diagram/schematic)

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDren View Post
    PS - If you post your zip code, I'd like to point you to a better OTA antenna option. Antennaweb kinda' sucks; TVFool.com offers a lot more data.
    75645

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyDren View Post
    PPS - Just remember that the 625 is probably the best, fastest, and most reliable DVR that Dish has ever made. The 722 has big shoes to fill, and you won't like it at first. You'll get used to it over time, though.
    Can you name some of the flaws in the 722(k)?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 20th, 2009
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread Starter

    Stations I Currently Receive

    Here are all the channels I currently receive:

    7.1 720p
    7.2 480i
    7.3 480i
    19.1 1080i
    19.2 480i
    19.3 480i
    51.1 KFXK -DT 720p
    51.1 RF51.1 480i
    51.2 480i
    56.1 1080i
    56.2 480i



Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •