Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I aim my DirecTV slimline dish?

Post Thanks / Like

How do I aim my DirecTV slimline dish?

This is my first post, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I have aimed a single LNB dish and a Hughes 2-way satellite dish numerous times and Azimuth, Skew, and Elevation and a plumb mounting pole are familiar to me.

I have DirecTV HDTV dish and hr22-100 receiver. The dish is a slimline and I think it has 5 LNBs.

Anyway, I moved my dish and want to get it pointed. On the setup screen, I found 99 (KA), 101 (KU), 110 (KU), 119 (KU) and 103 (?). Each of these birds has a lot of transponders and I am wondering if there just one I need to peak
    I know this question has been asked before, so I'll guess all I need is a link to find the answer.

Also, the mast that I planted in the ground is about 1/16-inch too skinny and I can't tighten up the mounting collar. Any tricks?
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

dfergie is online now Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    west of the pecos... between Otis and first contact site
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to SatelliteGuys! You might try duct tape for a temporary solution to the mast size, peak to 101 first, then take slow and very gradual steps to get 110 and 119 with 99 and 103 being the hardest to get in... I'm on the wrong computer or I could point you towards some videos that would help you a lot.
    SatelliteGuys working for you at CES 2014
    dfergie@SatelliteGuys.US For Breaking Satellite Industry News, Please Click Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbdaves View Post
    This is my first post, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I have aimed a single LNB dish and a Hughes 2-way satellite dish numerous times and Azimuth, Skew, and Elevation and a plumb mounting pole are familiar to me.

I have DirecTV HDTV dish and hr22-100 receiver. The dish is a slimline and I think it has 5 LNBs.

Anyway, I moved my dish and want to get it pointed. On the setup screen, I found 99 (KA), 101 (KU), 110 (KU), 119 (KU) and 103 (?). Each of these birds has a lot of transponders and I am wondering if there just one I need to peak
    I know this question has been asked before, so I'll guess all I need is a link to find the answer.

Also, the mast that I planted in the ground is about 1/16-inch too skinny and I can't tighten up the mounting collar. Any tricks?
    Thanks.
    Try a piece of PVC - use it as a sleeve (attach it to your pole with sheet metal screws).

Preset the EL & tilt to whatever your zip code calls for. Focus on the 101 bird first. Adjust the AZ & EL only to nail the center of the peak on 101. Lock down the AZ & EL.

Switch to the 119 bird and adjust the tilt ONLY to center of the peak. Lock down the tilt. Double check the 101 (fine tune only).

That's it! The others simply fall into place.
    Last edited by MikeinBaja; 10-20-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    straight south.

as far as tilt and elevations.. you can find out what it is on D* by selecting DISH POINTING and type in zip code and it will tell you all that. for example..

im in SD and mine is 181 azimuth, 40 elevation, 89 tilt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I wrapped duct tape around the mast. Az is 139, El 47, Tilt 112. El & Tilt were alaready set. Using a compass, I aimed the dish at 139. I then went to menu>Parental, Fav's & Setup>system setup>Satellite>view signal strength>signal meters. Then I aimed the dish at 139 and set the "test Signal Strength" page to satellite 101, transponder 1. I scanned back and forth and between each scan, cranked on the elevation bolt a bit. After several tries, it was getting late, so I decided to let it rest until tomorrow. but noticed that 110 is acquired with high 90 signal strength on transponder 8 and in the mid 70's on 10 and 12
    . Anyway, 101 has lots of transponders on it. Which one do I choose? Similar question for the other birds.

Post Thanks / Like
    just use transponder 1 til you get high signal on 101.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast