Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prof 7301, 7500 and 8000 Tuners

Post Thanks / Like

Prof 7301, 7500 and 8000 Tuners

Being as this existing thread has evolved into something quite different than where it started, and the title isn't terribly apropos, I'm beginning another here as a follow-in in the more appropriate sub-forum.

To recap,
    Prof

has introduced a series of PCI/USB/PCIe tuners based on the STV0903 chip. This should provide improved capabilities for S/S2 demodulation than previously available. Perhaps even more interestingly, the Linux driver has many capabilities that suggest this chip could provide a decent PC-based blindscanning function. SatelliteAV has announced they are going to be supplying this unit, which up until now was only available for direct import from Hong Kong.

I imported the 7301 (PCI) and 7500 (USB) units and have done some quick testing in Windows with both DVB Dream and DVB Viewer. While I haven't run a stressful set of signals through yet, on the surface both the 7301 and 7500 are doing better on high rate signals than my other PC devices (DVB World 2104 USB and TechnoTrend S2-3200 PCI). I will continue working with these on Windows, but I'm switching my emphasis towards Linux in search of the holy grail of PC-based blindscanning.

Many thanks to tester239, who in the previously mentioned thread was the one originally making the connections between the blindscanning capabilities of the STV0903 and also the inclusion of this chip in the new Prof tuners.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tester239 View Post
    Hmm. I suppose I was wrong about support Looks like it's got a cx23883 PCI interface chip ("broadcast decoder"). Need to add a card def in the cx88 drivers. Do you know if we can just use some existing cx23883 firmware from another card, or are they all card specific? Fun times ahead! I'm at a loss right now, since I don't have hardware to test with yet. I've just been trying to more familiarize myself with the DVB-API v5.
    That's basically the problem I ran into. However as the Prof 7300 also employs the CX23883 and there appears to be driver support for it, my plan was to see how far I can get in comparing the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cx2388x based tuner cards of any flavor are pretty simple to add base support for since the cx88 driver is fairly mature/stable and there are quite a few cards (not just DVB-S) cards that use that interface chip. In the case of the Prof 7301, the integrated tuner/demodulator module has a chipset in it that also has driver support, so THEORETICALLY one could just write a card definition in cx88-cards.c and map the inputs and GPIO stuff correctly (using windows driver inf data and regspy). In practice, every card typically has their own implementation quirks, but we're in really good shape to get this sucker working.

pendragon: since you have a card already, I encourage you to look at cx88-cards.c and see how the definitions are done (if you haven't already) and see if you can obtain the necessary information to add it (PCI ids, gpio info, what inputs are used and connected, etc etc).

EDIT: in fact, if you look at the output of dmesg, you should see the kernel yelling at you because it knows that you have a cx23883 but no card definition matches, so the driver never attaches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which driver never attaches? Linux? How then this card works? Keep in mind, a lot of people of various background read this forum, hence more clear info is always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the moment we're talking Linux. The Windows drivers seem to work fine with the Prof devices. Yesterday afternoon I did look at cx88-cards.c for the 7300 (older unit) definitions and they're there, although they are rather generic. This weekend is supposed to be pretty good weather-wise, so I hope to be working on my toroid dishes and master switch, but if I get a little time I plan to start pushing the 7301 farther along.

Post Thanks / Like
    pendragon

Given your contribution to this forum , attached below are Prof 7301 Linux Driver files by Igor Liplianin, which are still work in progress, but working well and close to release version, and you're invited to contribute. You have 2 options:

a) Download and install Prof 7301 unofficial Linux driver of July 2009:
    prof7301_ready_to_install.tar.gz

Instructions are available to install Prof 7301 as a 2-nd sat tuner card, but need translation effort;

OR

b) Download and install
    DVB-S2 Linux Drivers

by Igor Liplianin
    Apply 2 patches of Oct. 2009 attached. There are still minor issue with showing correct signal levels, etc, but everything works.

Attached Files
    Last edited by zamar23; 10-23-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast