Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A 500' Dish-house distance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidforce88 View Post
    200' for the Slimeline is max. After that it runs into a voltage problem and can't switch properly. 500' I don't think you could even do it with RG11 and amps.

If you do a tower you will probably have to hire a retail installer to do the install, as most techs wont touch it.
    Yep. Just for reference, the rough voltage drop for RG-6 is 0.04VDC per foot of cable. 500 feet of cable would mean a 20VDC drop, which is more than the receivers put out (13VDC and 18VDC).

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only option is to run power out there then make a little enclosed building to put your satellite receiver in then run coax the rest of the way with a UHF remote solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm--

I read a few blogs about amplifiers, as I started with a wild idea that three or four amplifiers spread along each line at intervals could do the trick. Now it looks like I would need multiple amplifiers for each of the five LNB lines, and every amplifier could introduce more noise to the system. It sounds like this idea is not to be.

Thanks for all of the great help. It has saved me a lot of head-scratching and also the money I would have spent trying to make it work. All the best, Loel

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Stargazer:

Thanks for the interesting idea!. The remote location with good line of sight is actually a workshop around 400 ft away from my house. The shop has power and a suitable place to put the receiver. If I ran co-ax cables to the house for each of two television sets, how would I be able to control the receiver/s from the house? Loel

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    The only option is to run power out there then make a little enclosed building to put your satellite receiver in then run coax the rest of the way with a UHF remote solution.
    Wonder how reliable the RF portion of the remotes are at 400 ft ?
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! texasbrit did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, texasbrit did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, texasbrit did! Be COOL like texasbrit and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know that there are people who have 500 ft runs with DirecTV. If I were going to do this, I would try the following.
    First, use an SWM dish not a regular one. It will support up to 8 tuners on a single cable back to the house. SWM has the advantage that it does not rely on the signalling voltage to select the correct satellite, and also uses frequencies lower than regular DirecTV so any signal attenuation due to long runs is reduced.
    Second, use RG11 cable. Expensive but has less signal loss.
    Third, you will need an SWM amplifier.
    Sonora LA141R SWM8 Line Amp 14 dB gain 54 to 3500 MHz w/ Sub Band Return 2 to 40 MHz w/ External Power Port (LA141R) - Sonora - LA141R - LA141R - swm8 amp swm 8 amp swim8 amp swim 8 amp mfh2 LA141 LA141r LA141 r KA KU KA/KU LA-141r

Solid Signal says 250ft but this is very conservative. People have run the SWM without the amplifier at 200 ft or more, even with RG6. Using the amp with RG11 gives you a very good chance of getting to 400ft plus.
    You should put the SWM power inserter for the dish in the workshop, then you won't have any problem with power drop to the SWM dish. All you will be concerned about is making sure the signal gets to and from the dish.

At this sort of distance there are no guarantees but the SWM config has IMHO the best chance of success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast