Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dish signal and Cable internet on same line

Post Thanks / Like

Dish signal and Cable internet on same line

Okay, here is the issue...... I am moving and have both cable internet and dish network service. Is there a way that the frequencies can coexist on the same cable? I would rather not have to run new lines and tear up this house. How about an OTA signal? I had satellite and OTA signals on the same line in the past.

Is this possible? Can it be done with diplexers?

any help would be great! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! yaz96 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, yaz96 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, yaz96 did! Be COOL like yaz96 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simple answer, no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfnz28 View Post
    Okay, here is the issue...... I am moving and have both cable internet and dish network service. Is there a way that the frequencies can coexist on the same cable? I would rather not have to run new lines and tear up this house. How about an OTA signal? I had satellite and OTA signals on the same line in the past.

I believe it depends on the frequencies your cableco uses. I had Comcast internet and Dish on the same cable with diplexers for years at the Florida house. I went to separate lines last year when I was running new cable. I'd use separate lines if you could and avoid hassles but you can try it out first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yaz96 View Post
    Simple answer, no.
    Wrong, YES, it can be done. That's what I have in my house. I have a 211k with 20/2 meg HSI through Charter cable on 1 line. It has never caused me a problem. Works GREAT.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can try it, but any modern cable system is going to use the same midband frequencies that Dish uses, and they'll just interfere with each other. OTA works because it's all under 800MHz and Dish is almost all over 1GHz.

Why are you talking about "tearing up the house?" You should only have one cable entering the house, and close to the DEMARK you'd have a router, probably WiFi, and maybe one or two hard cables going to specific places in the house. The best thing to do is put a WiFi bridge next to your TV, plug all of those devices into the bridge, and make them share a single WiFi tunnel back to the main router.
    Last edited by CowboyDren; 02-09-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfnz28 View Post

It can be done. BUT there will be some issues, Which why I will duplex through a cable modem only if I have no other choice. Remember if you have a duel receiver you will not be able to back the second outlet on the same line as any cable product the will interfere. I normally try to have the cable tun separately in to a spot locate the modem and a wireless router then all the computers are working on the same network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast