Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R59 to R6

Post Thanks / Like

R59 to R6

Hello,

I was going to have Direct TV installed today, but the installer couldn't install it because my current cable is R59. He said I would have to upgrade to R6. Is this true?

Also, I don't want cables going around my house, so he said the only way to do it would be to drop new cable down from the attic. Is this the only way to replace the R59 cable?

The house is only 10 years old, I didn't think the cable would be outdated already. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the installer is correct

Sorry but the installer is correct. If you are running any type of HDTV signal you need RG6 to prevent and signal loss. Your builder took a short cut and used a cheaper cable. The Sat signal and HDTV signals need the higher grade cable for it's signals. Go through the attic if you don't want to see the cables

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use R59,but the Quality of your signal well suffer and
    some channel's might not come in.It would be best to use RG6.
    If your dish is on the roof, then the attic would be your best route.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the builder didn't attached the RG59 to the wall studs, it might be possible to use the RG59 to pull through RG6.

Do some home work and check the attic and basement for ways to run the coax. In any case, the cable(s) from the dish should go to a common location where the mulitswitch or SWM splitter would be installed. Then the receivers would be fed from there.
    HR23-700, HR24-500/AM21, Samsung UN46C6500

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trehutch View Post
    Sorry but the installer is correct. If you are running any type of HDTV signal you need RG6 to prevent and signal loss. Your builder took a short cut and used a cheaper cable. The Sat signal and HDTV signals need the higher grade cable for it's signals. Go through the attic if you don't want to see the cables
    Sad part is the builder really did not save any money. You should be able to connect the RG6 cable to the RG59 cable and pull. should be able to pull the cable all the way to where it goes outside. Then you may have problem getting there.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    It IS and recommended to have RG-6 , but many have been done with RG59, particularly if it's only a short distance.
    Play Ball !!!

2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790, Seagate 1.5 TB EHD

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast