Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dish network with metal roof

Post Thanks / Like

dish network with metal roof

Hi, I'm new and obviously not professional. Recently I went through a fiasco with direct tv on installation. I have a 2 story house with a metal roof so the only good solution was a 20 foot pole which was needed because the dish has to have a clearance of 2 to 3 foot above roof line. Needless to say I opted out after hearing the additional charges for this.
    My question does dish network require this clearance as well.
    thanks in advance for your help-would sure like to ditch time warner.
    gs

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Pepper did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Pepper did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Pepper did! Be COOL like Pepper and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the dish has to be able to point at the particular satellites - this is called "line of sight" (LOS) - and if anything is in the way, your house for example, you need to find some other place to mount the dish where there are no obstructions.

Dish Network is a little more flexible in that they have both Eastern Arc and Western Arc and it is rare that LOS is blocked to both of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by great_scot View Post
    Hi, I'm new and obviously not professional. Recently I went through a fiasco with direct tv on installation. I have a 2 story house with a metal roof so the only good solution was a 20 foot pole which was needed because the dish has to have a clearance of 2 to 3 foot above roof line. Needless to say I opted out after hearing the additional charges for this.
    My question does dish network require this clearance as well.
    thanks in advance for your help-would sure like to ditch time warner.
    gs
    It's all about direction and angle. Your post mentions a 2-story house w/metal roof but doesn't mention anything about trees or yard space. Ordering directly from Dish Network (versus a retailer) shouldn't cost you a thing since they provide a free install, assuming they can find a line of sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has a good line of site close to the house. The problem seemed to stem from interference from the roof; I'd attach it to the corner of the house but that would put it close to the roof. Thanks for the advice on the install
    thanks
    Scot

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some issues with DISH network over my metal roof also. It's not about interference. DISH installers can actually be fined for putting a dish on a metal roof because of the potential liability that would be incurred if the roof leaked after the installation was finished. I posted my problem on this forum, and the best suggestion anyone gave was to use a 'chimney wrap', which is just what it sounds like. The third installer I tried was more flexible, however, and agreed to attach the dish to a (wooden) dormer.

My suggestion: if you get a negative answer from your DISH installer, wait a week and then try again, requesting a different installer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only done 2 installs on a metal roof, using a crapload of roof cement and pitch pads. I'll NEVER do that unless the customer signs off saying if it does leak it isn't our fault. It also has to be on the edge of the roof or I won't even attempt it. So the next time you try ask to sign off any liability on the tech's part and have a caulking gun and some kind of sealant for the technician and be very liberal with the application.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast