Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another hidden $5/month DVR cost

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! mike123abc did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, mike123abc did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, mike123abc did! Be COOL like mike123abc and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Another hidden $5/month DVR cost

I was reading a review of another DVR product and they had a chart at the end of the review:

http://mysite.verizon.net/~fiosdvr/prem_review_01.pdf

Skip to pages 18/19. This list the wattage of 18 different DVRs. The 622/722 use more than any of them. It costs $4.64/month in electricity for each Dish DVR. Of course that is assuming 4 hours use a day and average electricity rates.

I wonder what the 922 does?

Dish needs to work energystar certification!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! navychop did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, navychop did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, navychop did! Be COOL like navychop and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe. I suspect Verizon is not the best source for this information.
    Reunite Pangaea!

Appreciate my posts AND thinking of Signing Up for DISH? Please consider using one of my referral codes below and we will both save $50 on our DISH bill!
    DRD703497211 / DRD592770150 / ADP0029743389
    To redeem the code go to http://tinyurl.com/dishreferral or you can call 888-284-7103 or your local participating DISH retailer!
    (If you use one of my codes THANK YOU! Please PM when you use the code so I can remove the used code!)

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! mike123abc did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, mike123abc did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, mike123abc did! Be COOL like mike123abc and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by navychop View Post
    Maybe. I suspect Verizon is not the best source for this information.
    It is an individual using VZ's fios as a web server. It is not a VZ document.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! riffjim4069 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, riffjim4069 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, riffjim4069 did! Be COOL like riffjim4069 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
    It is an individual using VZ's fios as a web server. It is not a VZ document.
    Additionally, the document is well-written and focuses on comparing the Tivo HD models (Premier, Series 3 and Tivo HD). The information about power consumption is easy to measure and easy to verify using a $20 Kill-A-Watt monitoring device like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU"]Amazon.com: P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11SD37G6Y8L.@@AMEPARAM@@11SD37G6Y8L[/ame]. I have three VIP 622 (now in the closet) and currenty a TivoHD, Verizon's QIP HD DVR, and a Sony DHG-HDD500 currenly connected to our FiOS TV service. Based on the measurements I took with my Kill-A-Watt, those figures coincide with mine. Although I don't recall the specifics, I recall my Tivo, Verizon and Sony DVRs power consumption was similar - only marginally different. Whereas my 622s sucked-down at least 50% more juice. In fact, I stopped folding with my PS3s (older 60GB models) after seeing how they were costing $15 per month (each) to keep them running 24x7, and I powered down the 622 in the Home Theater Room (only used on weekends) when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sat rcvrs also supply power to the dish unless an switch is involved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drdeceased View Post
    Sat rcvrs also supply power to the dish unless an switch is involved.
    True but the DirecTV HR23 is the second lowest power consumer at $1.88/month.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast