Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dish DVR Hard Drive unlock?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb How To Unlock a Dish Network Hard Drive for use in Computer

See Attached ISO Files Use Either one:
    Here is the software to unlock Dish Network Hard Drive. It is an .ISO format so you have to burn it to CD or DVD or use ALCOHOL 120 or put it on a memory stick. You Then have to set your CD\DVD Drive as your Boot Drive. Connect the Hard Drive to your system and boot up your computer with the CD\DVD that you burned the ISO to. The software will "Unlock" the drive (It removes the zero state it is set to and allows the BIOS to see it and it will spin up") Then follow directions from there. All you really have to do from there is a soft reset (reboot computer on and off without powering off )
    You can then format the drive and install whatever OS you want. Or use Linux to try and get your movies off in one piece.

The site is not allowing me to upload the ISO's email me and i will send them to you: The Files are about 1.4 mb each
    cdennis39@ymail.com

Have Fun !
    sklawz

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TheKrell did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TheKrell did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TheKrell did! Be COOL like TheKrell and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will the drive still work in the receiver after this "unlock" procedure? (Obviously I don't intend to format the drive.)

Post Thanks / Like

TheKrell

TheKrell,
    You should be able to use the drive in the receiver after unlocking it. I don't know what type of drive you have. Different manufactures (Western Digital, Hitachi) have different firmware and different security features. This is to keep the info on the drive secured (i.e - movies, proprietary software etc.) The drive will operate in a PC and should work in the reciever. I don't understand why you need to unlock the drive for use in the reciever though. You could always set the lock feature back to on "on" using the ISO software and use it that way again. It is my understanding that Western Digital Drives have well implemented security.
    Hope this helps.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TheKrell did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TheKrell did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TheKrell did! Be COOL like TheKrell and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only "security" I know about on the internal drives is the use of a proprietary file system which has already been reverse engineered. So what stopped me from copying my programs was the inability to get the drive to spin up. (Obviously I could be wrong about that!) I was thinking your "unlock" programs might fix that problem, while allowing me to reinstall the drive in the receiver and continue normal operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
    The only "security" I know about on the internal drives is the use of a proprietary file system which has already been reverse engineered.
    The filesystem is not proprietary at all; it just isn't something that Windows can do natively (along with 90% of the other filesystems out there).

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TG2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TG2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TG2 did! Be COOL like TG2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harshness View Post
    The filesystem is not proprietary at all; it just isn't something that Windows can do natively (along with 90% of the other filesystems out there).
    well on a 722k .. the first & second partitions seem to be ext3 .... the 3rd & 4th partitions that I had on my 722k don't mount and are "unknown" ... I'd read somewhere that the largest partition was a virtualized file system .. somethign along the lines of a giant file where a virtual driver knows how to read/write into the "file" but its gibberish to the outside world without the virtual filesystem driver loading....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast