Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: grounding to a copper water pipe

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill129 View Post
    Yah, they are. PEX is really big here in California. It's about the only thing used in new construction now. The good news is, rental companies have the tools now, so for do it yourselfers it's not to bad. I remember the first time I saw it, I was amazed. It's expensive, but the labor savings vs. copper easily makes up the difference...
    I'll stick with copper ...

My house I flipped, last year I replaced ALL the copper the week I took possesion, around Christmas last year someone broke in and stole it all, I considered PEX then, till I saw the price for tools.
    I put in the tried and true copper again

Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

raoul5788 is online now Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'll stick with copper ...

My house I flipped, last year I replaced ALL the copper the week I took possesion, around Christmas last year someone broke in and stole it all, I considered PEX then, till I saw the price for tools.
    I put in the tried and true copper again
    Copper is tried and true here in the US, but PEX has been used in Europe for decades. Not only is it much cheaper than copper, but MUCH faster to install. It handles freezing temperatures better, also. The cost of the tools is more than made up in the reduced cost of the materials and time saved, plus you own the tools when you are done. It's a no brainer in my book, but some say I have no brains!
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Have you ever looked to see how expensive the PEX stuff is ?
    Have you ever heard of PEX failing (I've seen frozen PEX expand to double its nominal size without splitting)? Have you ever seen PEX close up when kinked?

PEX doesn't conduct heat, water hammer or noise as well as copper, but that's a good thing.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post
    Copper is tried and true here in the US, but PEX has been used in Europe for decades. Not only is it much cheaper than copper, but MUCH faster to install. It handles freezing temperatures better, also. The cost of the tools is more than made up in the reduced cost of the materials and time saved, plus you own the tools when you are done. It's a no brainer in my book, but some say I have no brains!
    It's a no brainer if you do this often, working with plumbing, but it's not very economical when your only doing one house.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harshness View Post
    Have you ever heard of PEX failing (I've seen frozen PEX expand to double its nominal size without splitting)? Have you ever seen PEX close up when kinked?

PEX doesn't conduct heat, water hammer or noise as well as copper, but that's a good thing.
    Ok
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not spending $ 300 for tools I would use one or twice over 5 years.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast