Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting the skew on a 3 ft. dish

Post Thanks / Like

Setting the skew on a 3 ft. dish

I am trying to set up SD in Poza Rica, Mexico...the skew should be 24.6 but on back of the 90 cm elliptical dish it only goes down to 38?......do I need a bigger dish or am I misssing something? I have set up other dishes in Canada with no problem....can anyone advise or help me?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the skew says 24.6 but since you can skew the dish you take that from 90 so it would be 114.6

if standing behind the dish the lkeft side of the dish should be higher.....checking dishpointer it says skew is 104

edit: checking MIke Kohl's site you may have an issue

VERACRUZ VER Lat-N Long-W LNBF/Skew EL & AZ--107.3 EL AZ Skew--111.1
    Poza Rica 20.5 97.5 5:15 114 63.4 206.3 *@* 61.4 214.7 122

so skew is 122 but you wont get 107.3 as the footprint doesnt reach there

http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/point/MEXCA.html

FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Iceberg

Hey thanks for your help...there are SD dishes set up here with Pemex workers and Mexico city is 3 hours away by car .......I am going to try anyway...just that it is around 115 degrees up on the roof right now lol...nad I am a Canadain so will be sweating my rear off...but now you have given me some help with the skew.....have working with round dishes so long...

Post Thanks / Like
    About receiving 107.3 in Poza Rica, please note a forum member in Xalapa, Veracruz recently installed 2 separate dishes for SD with great results.
    Now I do not know if Poza Rica and Xalapa are close, ?
    Here in Mexico City SD reception for both birds is good
    DJDish
    DBS user since 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJdish View Post
    About receiving 107.3 in Poza Rica, please note a forum member in Xalapa, Veracruz recently installed 2 separate dishes for SD with great results.
    Now I do not know if Poza Rica and Xalapa are close, ?
    Here in Mexico City SD reception for both birds is good
    I have a few questions for you......if you don'r mind.....
    Can you tell me what size of dish are you using and why two dishes? Are they a eliptical dish or round? Do you get hi def? what are the settings you are usiing.
    I tried it to tune a eliptical 80 cm dish.....was able to tune into 41 percent on the signal meter....after using Iceberg advice and specs.....it jumped when I swung dish around, to 33 percent and then was able to fine tune to 40 then 41.....but how do I know if it is anik f1?.......could it be another sat?
    I also have a KU Hughesnet sattelite internet dish that is 3 feet wide but the arm will not accept a lnb i....can I bolt the arm off of the starchoice dish onto the KU dish?
    This site rocks by the way!
    Last edited by vinny6ft; 08-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny6ft View Post
    I have a few questions for you......if you don'r mind.....
    Can you tell me what size of dish are you using and why two dishes? Are they a eliptical dish or round? Do you get hi def? what are the skew settings you are using?
    I tried it to tune a 80 cm dish.....was able to tune into 41 percent on the signal meter....after using Iceberg advice and specs.....it jumped when I swung dish around, to 33 percent and then was able to fine tune to 40 then 41.....but how do I know if it is anik f1?.......could it be another sat?
    This site rocks by the way!
    You may check my dish sizes in my signature, I checked with users here in the area and the consensus was to use 2 separate dishes, even though I have unconfirmed info that some folks use the single elliptical dish here in the city, anyway I believe the signal is better with 2 dishes, especially for HD channels in Anik F2.
    yes I am getting HD with good signal even under moderate rain.
    For skew settings I used this, looking at my dish from the front and assuming clock settings a 5:15 for 107.3 and 5:00 for 111.1
    I think you will end up with a signal of at least 70s in your area with a 80 cmts dish.
    You may already know the following so pardon me if I address some basics, but when you look for Anik F1 you tune into ch 299 to lock on the signal, enter 4128 for ID and if you are indeed getting the Anikf the indicator will turn green as opposed to red
    Hope that helps...
    DJDish
    DBS user since 1995

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast