Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Directv droping local ABC station

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Directv droping local ABC station

I just saw a commercial. The commercial states,

KVIA-TV's contract with DIRECTV expires Monday, August 23rd at 1 p.m. Unfortunately, the negotiations are at an impass.

We are asking DIRECTV to pay our station a small fraction of what DIRECTV pays for cable networks like ESPN, The Disney channel and Fox Sports.

And, to our disappointment, DIRECTV refuses to deliver to you KVIA's three other digital channels that we have offered for free, at no charge.

We will keep you informed of the status of negotiations with DIRECTV.

KVIA (7.1) is our local ABC channel. The three other digital channels are, CW (7.2), Storm Track (7.3) and LATV (7.4).

Is this just between KVIA and Directv, or is this happening to other ABC stations? And will Directv replace KVIA with one of the national ABC feeds, either channel 386 or 387?

I thought Directv paid ABC, then ABC would pay the local channel. I did not know Directv paid KVIA and other local channels directly. About how much does Directv pay to local channels so they broadcast the channel?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cave1376 View Post
    I just saw a commercial. The commercial states,

KVIA-TV's contract with DIRECTV expires Monday, August 23rd at 1 p.m. Unfortunately, the negotiations are at an impass.

We are asking DIRECTV to pay our station a small fraction of what DIRECTV pays for cable networks like ESPN, The Disney channel and Fox Sports.

And, to our disappointment, DIRECTV refuses to deliver to you KVIA's three other digital channels that we have offered for free, at no charge.

We will keep you informed of the status of negotiations with DIRECTV.

KVIA (7.1) is our local ABC channel. The three other digital channels are, CW (7.2), Storm Track (7.3) and LATV (7.4).

Is this just between KVIA and Directv, or is this happening to other ABC stations? And will Directv replace KVIA with one of the national ABC feeds, either channel 386 or 387?

I thought Directv paid ABC, then ABC would pay the local channel. I did not know Directv paid KVIA and other local channels directly. About how much does Directv pay to local channels so they broadcast the channel?
    D* has NEVER carried sub channels ..... if this is what KVIA is bargaining for, good luck.
    Play Ball !!!

2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790, Seagate 1.5 TB EHD

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    D* has NEVER carried sub channels ..... if this is what KVIA is bargaining for, good luck.
    That is untrue. DirecTV carries several subchannels, mainly CW and MyNetworkTV affiliates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cave1376 View Post

It actually has to do with the company that owns the station, and not the network the station belongs to (the exception would be stations owned and operated by the networks, which are usually in larger markets). In this case, the contract is between DirecTV and News-Press & Gazette, who owns KVIA in El Paso and stations in several other cities. Stations they own in Palm Springs CA, Colorado Springs CO, and Idaho Falls ID have similar statements on their websites.

Unfortunately, DirecTV is not allowed to replace them with a national feed.

As for DirecTV compensating local stations for retransmission of their signals, there are two different things that can happen. A local station can declare itself as must-carry and provide the feed to DirecTV for free or they can decline must-carry status and opt to negotiate with TV providers for compensation instead. Companies that own "Big 4 network" stations tend to go for compensation more often, because this programming is more highly-watched, and therefore is more highly-valued. Non-network stations that are struggling to reach a wider audience are more likely to provide their signal for free.

Hopefully they can work something out soon. Apparently DirecTV has a history with this company, though. Wasn't KVIA missing from their El Paso lineup not too long ago? They were added just before the CFB national championship game, if I recall correctly.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dahenny did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dahenny did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dahenny did! Be COOL like dahenny and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The latest retrans faceoff is pitting the News Press & Gazette's (NPG) suite of broadcast properties against DIRECTV. NPG stations affected include KRDO (CBS) in Colorado Springs and Pueblo, CO; KVIA (ABC) in El Paso, TX; KESQ (ABC), KDFX (FOX) and KUNA (TMO) in Palm Springs, CA; and KIFI (ABC) in Idaho Falls, ID.

MediaBiz

Think You Might Sign Up for DISH? How about using one of my referral codes below and we will both save $50 on our DISH bill!
    WOOT WOOT!!!

ADG124528153 / ADP0019984041 / LAT086769667

To redeem the code go to http://tinyurl.com/dishreferral or you can call 888-284-7103 or your local participating DISH retailer!
    (If you use one of my codes THANK YOU! Please PM when you use the code so I can remove the used code!)

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! gadgtfreek did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, gadgtfreek did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, gadgtfreek did! Be COOL like gadgtfreek and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    They must be asking for a little more than usual, because these locals generally get worked out.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
    X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast