Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix on gaming machines.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Don Landis did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Don Landis did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Don Landis did! Be COOL like Don Landis and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Netflix on gaming machines.

Considering Netflix again as my loss of Blockbuster due to bankruptcy probability is close at hand.

A few questions for those that currently use it:

I have both XBOX360 and PS3.

1. I would assume that both perform the same but XBOX is more expensive to use due to the XBOX LIVE Gold requirement which adds $4.17 per month. Is there any advantage to using XBOX for Netflix to justify the additional $4.17 per month cost?

2. Re: Blue Ray and HD movies- I assume HD movies are not possible for download but only via mail. If you want Blu Ray added to the account, I understand this costs $2 add on for this feature. When you order a movie that is available in Blu Ray, will they just send you the standard DVD if it is available? Or can you specify BluRay only? If you specify BluRay only, what is typical today for a wait time? Last I polled Netflix subscribers, the wait was awful, almost making Blu Ray impossible to get except for very old titles. So what's typical for a new release?

3. According to the Netflix website, to do PS3 they have to send you a disk you need to insert while nothing like that is mentioned for XBOX. If I have both game machines, can my account work for both?

4. What are the typical file sizes for downloads? DVD quality is about 6Gb per movie average. Does Netflix shrink the file size for downloads? If so how much degradation do you get on the big screen with a PS3 vs. standard DVD?

5. Pricing:
    PS3:
    Blu Ray account $8.99 + $2 = 10.99 per month. one out at a time plus unlimited downloads.

XBOX360
    Blu Ray account $8.99 +$2 + 4.17 = $15.16 for one out at a time plus unlimited downloads.

Are these costs accurate?
    My You Tube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

Don Landis

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! meStevo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, meStevo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, meStevo did! Be COOL like meStevo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tolrar
    1. Searching is coming to the 360 this fall, and IMO it has a better UI. UI on PS3 is the same as Roku and BD players I believe.

2. I don't use mail

3. Account will work for both, just not simultaneously. Need disc in drive for PS3... I believe later PS3 Plus subscribers will get the ability to lose the disc, but not sure where that's at. Can also get a disc for Wii, free of charge.

4. No idea. HD is not Blu-Ray by any means, but clearly (hah) HD.

5. MS just announced the first price hike for the Live service, so may tack on a couple more bucks unless you invest in some time cards now. I typically buy it a couple years at a time when they're on sale... think the last 2 annual sub cards I got were maybe $20 each.

There are other things coming to Live you may benefit from as well, such as ESPN3 if your provider supports it (and if you are into any sports at all) and I think some of the Kinect video connectivity will require it if you are interested in Kinect at all.

I'd proabably lean toward PS3 due to costs, but the 360's got a nicer UI and much more convenient to not have to put a disc in the drive.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! msmith198025 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, msmith198025 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, msmith198025 did! Be COOL like msmith198025 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use them both, and they are comparable. I have noticed that occasionally the 360 will change the quality mid stream if my wife gets online and uses alot of bandwidth, and the PS3 never seems to do that.

I do like the fact that there is no disc used with the 360 though, and I use live for gaming, so to me, yes it is worth the extra cost per month, and can be even cheaper if you get it on sale. If you are not into gaming at all, or the other features (such as the coming ESPN3) then it may not be worth the extra cost.

They both deliver comparable PQ. HD is good, not great. SD is decent. Nothing I would complain about.

About your 2nd question, yes, HD streaming is available, and I do not think you have to add Blu-Ray to your account to access it. And yes, you can specify the blu-ray format when you fill your que as far as a physical disc goes. Wait time has not seemed excessive to me on Blu-Ray, but obviously, you may wait longer to get big name titles, then again you may get it first try. The time it takes to get a new movie after you have sent one back is generally a day for me.

All in all, I have been pleased with netflix, both mail and streaming.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! juan did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, juan did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, juan did! Be COOL like juan and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROKU is only $60 to $70 bucks and it works great

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Don Landis did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Don Landis did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Don Landis did! Be COOL like Don Landis and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the detailed replies.

I have not been a fan of the Netflix system but when the system changes I am willing to change my mind.

XBOX360 Live Gold- I do understand that having it will add certain additional uses not related to movie rentals but I have to learn what they are that adds value for ME. At any rate, last evening I saw they have a deal for the 3 month service for $3.33 per month so I signed up. After I did that they give me the opportunity to extend that price for an additional 12 months for the same price to be billed on my card in November. I may take advantage of that before it expires at the end of the day and then not have to worry about cost on Live Gold for awhile.

I'm happy to hear Netflix is doing better with their timing on BluRay. That is important to me. I know Blockbuster has had me spoiled with the movie / game pass. It has allowed me to screen games even better than the free samplers from Xbox. I haven't played games much on the PS3 mainly because the controller, to me, feels sloppy.

juan- can you describe what value added ROKU offers? Just to say it works great doesn't tell me much. I'll do some research on it myself too.
    I've already done some updates on the XstreamHD but not excited about it due to individual cost per movie. I don't think is is up and running yet anyway.
    My You Tube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DonLandis

Don Landis

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! juan did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, juan did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, juan did! Be COOL like juan and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
    Thanks for the detailed replies.

I have not been a fan of the Netflix system but when the system changes I am willing to change my mind.

XBOX360 Live Gold- I do understand that having it will add certain additional uses not related to movie rentals but I have to learn what they are that adds value for ME. At any rate, last evening I saw they have a deal for the 3 month service for $3.33 per month so I signed up. After I did that they give me the opportunity to extend that price for an additional 12 months for the same price to be billed on my card in November. I may take advantage of that before it expires at the end of the day and then not have to worry about cost on Live Gold for awhile.

I'm happy to hear Netflix is doing better with their timing on BluRay. That is important to me. I know Blockbuster has had me spoiled with the movie / game pass. It has allowed me to screen games even better than the free samplers from Xbox. I haven't played games much on the PS3 mainly because the controller, to me, feels sloppy.

juan- can you describe what value added ROKU offers? Just to say it works great doesn't tell me much. I'll do some research on it myself too.
    I've already done some updates on the XstreamHD but not excited about it due to individual cost per movie. I don't think is is up and running yet anyway.
    There is no "subscription" for ROKU..you just have to subscribe to netflix.. its a small black box that has a wireless connection to your internet router and a HDMI connection for your TV.. The model I Have does 720P (They have other models that may do higher speeds) It can also support Dolby 5.1. You can also "Subscribe" to MLB and buy Amazon PPV's.
    Roku Digital Video Player | Watch Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand and MLB.TV on Roku Player

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast