Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long cable run.

Post Thanks / Like

Long cable run.

On Wednesday, I'll be having my third DTV tech come out. The first two saw the trees behind my townhouse and immediately said a dish wasn't possible. After a friend a few doors down with the same tree issue had a successful installation, I was a bit annoyed that my techs didn't try a little harder to help me out.

My friend a few doors down has his cable running ~150 feet to an area where the line of sight is better. That area is ~300 feet from me, which I realize is a long distance, but I've been reading up on long cable runs on the DTV forums and people were saying it can be done. There's also an area about 150 feet from me where a neighbor's dish currently sits, but the tech who did my friend's installation said he has no idea how they're getting a signal.

I've signed up for a custom installation this time (probably what I should have originally done, but I didn't know any better) so that the tech knows this isn't going to be a typical 100 ft. or so installation. Am I going to have major problems if I have to run the cable 300 feet? I'm hoping to somehow get a decent signal where the closer dish is, but like I said, that other tech said he doesn't know how they're getting a signal.

Also, at this point I'll just be glad to finally have TV, but I was really wanting NFL Sunday Ticket...but will potential signal loss from the long distance prevent me from receiving those higher channels?

Any general advice on this subject would be appreciated. Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm just a 20-year-old female college student desperate to get DTV to work because I don't really have any other options!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful to note in your research whether the runs were accomplished with legacy switchgear or SWiM switchgear. SWiM, the technology DIRECTV is using today, likely has a higher power requirement than the legacy switchgear. As such, the distances attainable may be considerably less.

In any event, 300' is off the table for a "free professional installation".

Here's a few alternatives (not vetted):

1. Have a local authorized dealer install you with legacy switchgear
    2. Contract with a local authorized dealer to install SWiM over RG11 to the splitter
    3. Power the dish remotely and pray that the SWiM control signals make the trip.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harshness View Post
    Be careful to note in your research whether the runs were accomplished with legacy switchgear or SWiM switchgear. SWiM, the technology DIRECTV is using today, likely has a higher power requirement than the legacy switchgear. As such, the distances attainable may be considerably less.

In any event, 300' is off the table for a "free professional installation".

Here's a few alternatives (not vetted):

1. Have a local authorized dealer install you with legacy switchgear
    2. Contract with a local authorized dealer to install SWiM over RG11 to the splitter
    3. Power the dish remotely and pray that the SWiM control signals make the trip.
    Actually, I think your on the right track if you have them use RG11 coax like Harshness mentioned.
    As for SWM or otherwise, I would think it would be easier without SWM, but then again, I'm not sure as the SWM needs a Power Insertor to feed the dish.

I would have the installer try both, but the RG11 is the most important here.
    It's designed for longer runs.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for your replies!

Is the RG11 something I'm going to need to supply? I believe I read DTV installs with RG6?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seg2890 View Post
    Thank you both for your replies!

Is the RG11 something I'm going to need to supply? I believe I read DTV installs with RG6?
    Possibly, but I would see if you can contact the installation company ahead of time and then they will bring it with them.

Possibly D* could mention this on the order.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Possibly, but I would see if you can contact the installation company ahead of time and then they will bring it with them.

Possibly D* could mention this on the order.
    Installers do not carry RG11 cable and you can note on the WO all you want but it wont make a difference and if this is something that you will need then you will have to have this along with the fittings and possibly the tool to crimp them on cause most installers WILL NOT have this!!! And if you run a cable that far theres a good chance it will work in the beginning and after time it will start to pixelate and stop working and this is a big big chance to take and if your willing I would have you sign a waiver that if you insisted on this then it will be your problem if this happens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast