Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I self-install additional HD receiver with what I have?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I self-install additional HD receiver with what I have?

I just switched from Dish last week. I have one Hr24 and one H24 with the whole home DVR and internet connection. Due to my poor planning, I now want to add another HD tuner to the mix.
    Here' what I have right now:
    single coax from dish --> SWiM Power Inserter (P121R1-03) --> 4-way green splitter (MSPLIT4R1-03)
    Coming out of the splitter I have one connection to the HR24, one to the H24, one to the internet interface (DECABBIMRO-01), and a fourth connection that is unused.
    Based on that, can I order another H24 and connect it to the open connection on the splitter? Is it that simple? I really don't want to pay the $50 installation if that's all there is to it.
    I appreciate any help you can provide.

Jared

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! BobStokesbary did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, BobStokesbary did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, BobStokesbary did! Be COOL like BobStokesbary and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jared,
    It should be no problem. Just use the right cable & connectors, etc. You will probably have to go through the whole "whole home DVR" setup again. When I disconnect and unplug one of my receivers, I lose ability to see the other DVR. So, I have to unplug both DVRs and then plug one in and let it boot up completely, then the other. No big deal, it just takes about 15 minutes for the bootup. You would probably have to do the same on all 3 receivers. If it were me, I would do it.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredG
    I just switched from Dish last week. I have one Hr24 and one H24 with the whole home DVR and internet connection. Due to my poor planning, I now want to add another HD tuner to the mix.
    Here' what I have right now:
    single coax from dish --> SWiM Power Inserter (P121R1-03) --> 4-way green splitter (MSPLIT4R1-03)
    Coming out of the splitter I have one connection to the HR24, one to the H24, one to the internet interface (DECABBIMRO-01), and a fourth connection that is unused.
    Based on that, can I order another H24 and connect it to the open connection on the splitter? Is it that simple? I really don't want to pay the $50 installation if that's all there is to it.
    I appreciate any help you can provide.

Jared
    If your for sure the open wire is the one you need then yes it's that simple. Double check your connectors and change out the wall plate barrel to blue internal. And your good to go

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SA Holly Springs GA View Post
    Double check your connectors and change out the wall plate barrel to blue internal.
    Or you can just leave the existing barrels in the plates and it'll work just fine.. A barrel is a barrel. There is nothing different between a 'standard' one and a 'blue' one that makes one pass a higher frequency than another. It's a marketing ploy to sell more (and more expensive) connectors, just like the blue F fittings. The black ones work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMatt

Or you can just leave the existing barrels in the plates and it'll work just fine.. A barrel is a barrel. There is nothing different between a 'standard' one and a 'blue' one that makes one pass a higher frequency than another. It's a marketing ploy to sell more (and more expensive) connectors, just like the blue F fittings. The black ones work just fine.
    If that's the case then how's this work.

Transponder 1-4 Tuner 1
    98 100 99 98
    Transponder 1-4 Tuner 2
    98 78 99 77

Transponder 1-4 Tuner 1
    98 100 99 98
    Transponder 1-4 Tuner 2
    98 100 99 98

First set of numbers is your white barrel

Second set of numbers is the (marketing plot) high frequency blue barrels.

I see this daily.

I've made it a habitat to change em out.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! cparker did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, cparker did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, cparker did! Be COOL like cparker and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP. Instructions from my installer were that I should make the coax connection to the splitter, the last thing I do. "Don't connect a cable here and have it unconnected on the other end. It will disable your MRV." But he definitely said all I have to do is hook up a cable to the splitter. I think once they hook up MRV and essentially put the coax on the network, the ends have to have terminators on them if they aren't hooked up to something.

Regarding the blue barrels vs white barrels:
    I try to use the best materials I can (within reason). If a white barrel works.... fine, but for how long? No I don't mean the barrel will degrade over time. But as we change things, we add connections, add cable, change this, modify that.... The point is that there are so many "pieces" (whether cable, connectors, splitters, etc) between the dish and the receiver, that I feel it's important to use good "pieces" wherever and whenever I can. One white connector in your wall outlet may or may not be a big deal, but several on that cable run may degrade signal noticeably enough to affect performance.

I used quad shield cable. Was it overkill? Would a good, standard RG6 have worked? Maybe? Probably? But I knew I was going to be crossing electrical lines and/or paralleling them a bit closer than I'd like. (I like to keep 18" away from electrical lines if I have to run parallel to them. I cross at 90 degrees and they don't touch). Would an installer use quad shield? I doubt any of them would use it normally. My point (and I really do have one) is to use the best you can wherever and whenever you can so you minimize potential problems. There is a "practicality" factor that comes into play though. What you would LIKE and what's PRACTICAL may be 2 different things.
    Have FUN! ... C'mon.... it's only TV
    1x HR24, 1x HR34, 1x C31, MRV, Choice Ultimate, Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Yamaha RX-V667, Sony DVP-NC80V , Audio-technica AT-PL50, Sylvania 6626LCT, URC MX-980 remote (one ring to bind them all)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast