Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: auto shut off feature

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Magic Static did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Magic Static did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Magic Static did! Be COOL like Magic Static and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

auto shut off feature

This has got to be the most annoying thing Dish has come up with. Right in the middle of the big play in the SuperBowl, Your reciever is being shut off due to inactivity. WTF are you crazy? I still know how to turn off my receiver with out any help from dish. This thing has been irritating me from day one. So I better ask if there is some way of disabling that function? I'm just one of those weird people that don't channel surf. I have a few channels I watch and rarely is the channel changed. So this message is seen all the time in my house.

And just now I find my manual. One quick post and it popped right out of the woodwork. And yes there is a disable button very soon to be pushed

Last edited by Magic Static; 02-09-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: more info
    System 1. 10' Winegard Pinnacle, AJAK H180, ASC1, Bullseye II /4 Norsat DRO LNBs, GeoSat Pro microHD
    System 2. 10' Channel Master, AJAK H180, ASC1, Bullseye II / 4 Norsat PLL LNBs, HTPC TeVii S464 DVBS2, micro HD
    Shared 1m Prodlin on AMC1 103.0W Ku

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    menu 8 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only that, but when the receiver is off, it's not really off. With DirecTV receivers, the video output was disabled when you turned the receiver 'off'. My TV has an auto-off function, but since Dish has video output even when off, the TV never shuts off if I happen to forget to hit the TV power button. Which is complaint number three..the DirecTV remotes turn off both the receiver and TV when you hit the one and only power button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
    Not only that, but when the receiver is off, it's not really off. With DirecTV receivers, the video output was disabled when you turned the receiver 'off'. My TV has an auto-off function, but since Dish has video output even when off, the TV never shuts off if I happen to forget to hit the TV power button. Which is complaint number three..the DirecTV remotes turn off both the receiver and TV when you hit the one and only power button.
    Our old remotes had a single power button that shut off both. The problem with it was that people complained they did not want to turn off the TV, just the DISH Network equipment so they could watch a movie or play a console or what have you. The reason for the screen saver was also due to a complaint. People would turn the TV on and there would be no picture, which prompted a call. The screen says, at the bottom, "THE RECEIVER IS NOW OFF" so people would understand why there is no picture.

As far as the original issue, it has been answered. This reason the feature is there is so that the receiver can search for updates anytime it remains inactive for a period of time. It works in parallel with the 3AM search for the same information, including EPG. Both of these are actually meant to prevent other issues such as EPG information being outdated or software updates not happening when they are supposed to. I certainly understand the frustration but there are settings to change the time for updates (auto-shutoff at 3AM by default), change the length of time for inactivity to prompt an automatic shut-off, and disable the inactivity standby as a whole.

The "screen saver" is actually just that. Lets say you have a plasma TV that is still prone to burn-in (I can name a number of brands). You leave your TV on for 4 hours, but left 20 minutes after it was turned on. If the box did not splash the screen with the saver (which moves around to prevent that) you would have burn-in of the score or any other tickers on your screen. You might even see the channel logo stuck there regardless of what you watch. Sometimes it would be barely noticeable, but it would be there. In order to prevent the phone calls that would inevitably come from this, DISH Network proactively decided to try to help protect your TV with this feature and allow our box to get updates to prevent issues with that. IMO, that feature is a minor annoyance ( including the steps to turn the feature off) rather then the major one of ruining my TV I spent money on. It would not be covered by DISH and it would not be covered by the TV manufacturer. I really hope this clarifies why it is there.
    Last edited by TonyT@DISH Network; 02-09-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the receiver is showing the moving screen saver will all DVR timers still work?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! MikeD-C05 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, MikeD-C05 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, MikeD-C05 did! Be COOL like MikeD-C05 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by azhagan View Post
    When the receiver is showing the moving screen saver will all DVR timers still work?
    YES.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast