Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dish Sling Adapter connection failure

Post Thanks / Like

Dish Sling Adapter connection failure

I received my new sling adapter approx 2.5 weeks ago, worked great when I first received it. I am having issues connecting from my iphone's Dish Remote Access to my sling adapter when I am not connected to my home's network that began in the last 3-4 days.

Here is the background. I recently updated by iphone to iOS 4.2.1 and I know the Dish Remote Access app was just updated. I have a VIP722k that has a sling adapter connected. The 722k is connected to a Linksys Cisco E2100L that is acting as a wireless repeater. My internet service is provided by Frontier Communications which provides me with a Westell 7500 modem/router that serves as my primary router. Anyway, the sling adapter works great if my iphone is connected to my home network. I am able to watch live TV, DVR'd events, etc. As soon as I connect to a 3G cellular network or connect to a different wifi network, I get the error message of "Slingbox connection lost" or "Slingbox connection failed". Does anyone know how to correct this?? I have seen suggestions that talk about port forwarding, changing IP addresses, etc but nothing specific to the sling adapter. Please help.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TG2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TG2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TG2 did! Be COOL like TG2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    First.. did you ever try dish remote access from a PC?
    Try it if you haven't... see if it works.. that way you could narrow the problem to just Iphone ..
    Try the Dish Connectivity Test Tool
    http://dishconnectivity.sling.com/

From your own network also test your internet bandwidth to another site like:
    Speakeasy - Speed Test

Post results (munge your IP address info) so folks can see.

1 thought .. is that you're able to get local connectivity because your local network (ie, in your house) is fast enough, but perhaps the DSL isn't

another thought is perhaps something on the westell 7500 doesn't like the outbound traffic.

The initial sling connectivity must go out to a site, and setup access rights, etc.. but the actual data flows from your sling to your device (PC) so the initial connectivity may go through, but if the access router doesn't like the traffic stream it might consider it some odd attack and be dumping it.

"baby steps" ... sure there will be others that can help along the line..
    -R

Post Thanks / Like
    I found out that the connection to my sling adapter is only on certain wi-fi connections, some that I was able to watch via my iPhone and on a PC before the connectivity problems. To answer your question about PC and iPhone, the wi-fi connections that I am having issues with will not allow me to connect to the sling adapter via iPhone or a PC. Does this help??

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TG2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TG2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TG2 did! Be COOL like TG2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbo View Post
    I found out that the connection to my sling adapter is only on certain wi-fi connections, some that I was able to watch via my iPhone and on a PC before the connectivity problems. To answer your question about PC and iPhone, the wi-fi connections that I am having issues with will not allow me to connect to the sling adapter via iPhone or a PC. Does this help??
    I re-read your original post ... and I think I see where the problem might be, but I'm not positive.

The thing that doesn't make sense, is that you *are* able to get the sling adapter to work when you are on your own home wireless network.

Say you're home, on your wireless network, even though the computer/iphone, and the 722k are on the same network, the 722k must always be able to reach Dish & Sling web sites/servers. 99% of the data for audio/video goes only between the two devices (722k sling -> to PC / Iphone & back) but there is still the requirement that the SlingAdapter/722k reach the dish/sling website for registration, and awareness.

So the puzzling thing when you try from outside your home network ... do you get a connection and *then* it fails? Like maybe it was able to ID the slingadapter is there, but then when it tries to open connection ports.. it that's when it fails..

or does it fail to even see that you have a slingadapter when you attempt to connect from outside your home?

Note too.. that you can't travel from network to network and have it follow you ... if you move from wifi to 3g, or from one wifi network to another wifi network, then at the very least you'll have to reconnect over the website (maybe a refresh from the iphone / web app) to "reconnect" to the session.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get an error message that says "slingbox connection failed" or "slingbox connection lost" if I attempt to connect to the Sling Adapter outside of my home network. I am not moving from one network to another, continously connected to a wi-fi network or the 3G network. The Sling Adapter goes through the process where it says "Activating Slingbox", then changes to "Connecting to Slingbox" where it sits for approx 30 secs before I get the error messages stated above. I have no idea what the problem is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok.. so then what my thinking is ... something in your home network is blocking, or dropping the traffic, or the traffic is being blocked/dropped on the 7500 Modem/Router.

Need to know a little more on how the 722k connects to your network.

Need the IP, Netmask, and Gateway as your 722k shows it.
    From the 7500, need the *lan* Ip address. If the lan IP address of your 7500 does not match the Gateway of the 722k then that is a likely cause.

Your ip addresses *inside* your network are most likely in the 192.168.x.x block, or possibly 172.16.x.x, or 10.x.x.x. If the IP addresses you get are not in one of those ranges, then only give out the first two sets of numbers .. this will help protect you from getting unwanted traffic to your "door".

Also, you'll want to see if you have access to any logging features on the 7500. If you do, and you have the IP of the 722k, you can try to use your phone (turn off the wifi) in 3g mode, to acceess the Sling, and then look in the 7500's logs to see if you see the 722's ip address. If you see it there, its possible the 7500 is dropping the traffic. You can check on line for the manual (if you don't have it) and start looking through the logged message and see if you can find a way to allow the traffic to pass.

Use caution when in the 7500 ... you don't want to setup an option that blocks all your traffic or locks you out of it. Also your ISP may have some settings they can manage from the DSL side, or even help you reconfigure (if needed) to allow the type of traffic to pass.

(Note: I'll be out most of the day so probably wont get to see any more on this till after 4pm eastern)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast