Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing part of an OLD preamplifier

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing part of an OLD preamplifier

OK need some help from the experts

My buddy moved into a house kinda in the middle of nowhere. Just down the road from our cabin

On the premises is a HUGE TV antenna tower system. Its been there as long as I can remember...probably been around since gas was 49 cents a gallon
    I want to say its at least 75 feet up...maybe higher (I dont know how high they are built). Well we tried to hook up a converter box to it and got nothing
    I looked and found the preamp in the house. Its an old Channel master 0040C model...coax input and either coax or flat lead out. The input connection is bad so it doesnt work.

I want to get this going for him as right now he has no TV. There has to be some type of pre-amp on the antenna as I dont get anything right now. But I can't swap out the part on the antenna because....well that tower is HIGH!

I see folks selling older power supplies on Ebay...now checking models here is what I see. The 0040C that I currently have says its VHF only but the antenna is VHF/UHF. There is a 0264 which says there are 2 inputs for VHF & UHF. Also a 0071 that says its UHF Only. Here is where I found that

Stark Electronic

Here is my question.....Can the preamp (that goes in the house) be a different model than what we currently have? If we get say the 0071 model will that work with the current pre-amp on the antenna?

Here is the TVfool at 75 feet...I told you it isnt much (there is more but they are all too far away to pick up anyways....and at a different direction. The antenna the rotor wire was cut and the rotor was thrown so its facing towards these stations

Only 2 stations are digital...12 (KCCW) and 22 (PBS). The rest are analog. Here is their power
    39 Fox 15.2kw
    48 Fox 1.14kw
    16 ABC 15.6kw
    14 NBC 13.1kw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvfool.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	63184  
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I can find in my old catalogs the power supply is the same for all the Spartan 2 amplifiers which include the 0071c model main different is what is mount on the antenna. Have you check the output voltage of the power supply?
    Also it's only 80 feet give or take a foot or two so it shouldn't be and issue to check the cable at the antenna. I won't do it on a windy day!
    Something else maybe that's not the original power supply because why would someone put up an 80 foot tower with a UHF/VHF antenna and install only a VHF amplifier, doesn't make a lot of sense. How about a picture of the antenna!

Output voltage should be 14 VAC.
    Found a 0071c on Ebay 150540424315
    also the following units used the same supply..0063c,0064c,0068c,0264c,0268c,0029c,0059c, only different is the amplifier construction components.
    Last edited by sergei; 04-04-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Raydx 10.5': Dual C ( H2H Programming ) (1) DSR-920: (2) DSR-920: (3) DSR-920
    Raydx 8.5': Mover DSR-920: DMX242, Traxis DBS3800, Pansat 2700A
    Unimesh 7.5': BSC421, Mover GI 450i, Pansat3500, GeoSat100c
    Channel Master 7.5': Mover GI 350i: BSC421, DSR-R100b, Openbox S10, CS5000, MRX-1200
    Channel Master 8': BSC421, Openbox S10: New Receivers: Traxis DBS2800 X 3ea.
    Prodelin 1.2M: Dual KU: Prodelin 1.2M: Geosatpro MicroHD X 2
    OTA: Tower 35', Ham II Rotor: (UHF) CM4251 & CM7775, (VHF) CM3617B & CM7776
    Blonder Tongue MUVB-56 Distribution Amp: Channel Plus Modulators Qty 9 : FS1 Meter
    Blonder Tongue Digital Field Strength Meter DFSM-10
    Dish Network 322/ Family Package: Prodelin 1.2M

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    From what I can find in my old catalogs the power supply is the same for all the Spartan 2 amplifiers which include the 0071c model main different is what is mount on the antenna. Have you check the output voltage of the power supply?
    The output is fine. The issue is the coax on the input is shot....its not connected properly (it spins) and one other part is broke inside.

Also it's only 80 feet give or take a foot or two so it shouldn't be and issue to check the cable at the antenna. I won't do it on a windy day!
    my judgement of visual height sucks so it could be easily 125 feet up for all I know...Its an old tower and at the time there was only a couple stations so it could be 100 feet or higher. I started to climb it and got 15 feet up and was like "no way in hell. Thats way too high"
    Something else maybe that's not the original power supply because why would someone put up an 80 foot tower with a UHF/VHF antenna and install only a VHF amplifier, doesn't make a lot of sense. How about a picture of the antenna!
    not up there right now.....back at home. Going back up next weekend so I'll take a pic. The antenna is an old VHF/UHF one. Big Yagi part of UHF and a smaller VHF portion. The only VHF in the area is 12. Everything else is UHF. Thats why its weird. But the model on the power supply says 0040C. I brought that home
    Output voltage should be 14 VAC.
    Found a 0071c on Ebay 150540424315
    also the following units used the same supply..0063c,0064c,0068c,0264c,0268c,0029c,0059c, only different is the amplifier construction components.
    so you're saying the 0071 would work? maybe??

The power supply hasnt been used probably in a while. There is an old Dish dish on the tower and a Directv dish on a pole.
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    found this one on Ebay too. Its a 264 which says UHF only which might be fine

Channel Master Preamp Booster Uhf 0264c Power Supply - eBay (item 190488032847 end time Apr-07-11 15:16:53 PDT)

FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey google maps shows it

The house is no longer that color but there is the house and the tower

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	63187  
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Both the 0264 and the 0071c should work, no maybe. The catalog only make reference to just one power supply for all models that I listed. Look at the picture of the 0071 on Ebay and see if it looks like the one you have with the same voltage listed on the preamp lead output.

Also remember it's not the falling that hurts only the stopping part! If you don't have a linesman safety belt it's better to stay on the ground for sure.
    Raydx 10.5': Dual C ( H2H Programming ) (1) DSR-920: (2) DSR-920: (3) DSR-920
    Raydx 8.5': Mover DSR-920: DMX242, Traxis DBS3800, Pansat 2700A
    Unimesh 7.5': BSC421, Mover GI 450i, Pansat3500, GeoSat100c
    Channel Master 7.5': Mover GI 350i: BSC421, DSR-R100b, Openbox S10, CS5000, MRX-1200
    Channel Master 8': BSC421, Openbox S10: New Receivers: Traxis DBS2800 X 3ea.
    Prodelin 1.2M: Dual KU: Prodelin 1.2M: Geosatpro MicroHD X 2
    OTA: Tower 35', Ham II Rotor: (UHF) CM4251 & CM7775, (VHF) CM3617B & CM7776
    Blonder Tongue MUVB-56 Distribution Amp: Channel Plus Modulators Qty 9 : FS1 Meter
    Blonder Tongue Digital Field Strength Meter DFSM-10
    Dish Network 322/ Family Package: Prodelin 1.2M

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast